C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Lubricate Shift Linkage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 11:25 PM
LouisvilleLT4
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Lubricate Shift Linkage?

My car's been sitting outside and hasn't been started for about 4 months... one of the things that I notice now that it's sat so long is that when I move the shifter in and out of gears, it makes a lot of noise and feels like it's resisting somewhat.

The FSM says to squirt some engine oil into the shift linkage but I couldn't find any more elaboration on this. I did notice that there's a black "sack" under the car where the linkage is, and it feels like there's some oil or something sloshing around in it, and it looks like there's a fill hole or something in this sack. My question is, is this where I squirt the oil into the shift linkage, and if so, how do I go about getting the old gross oil out?
Old 07-25-2007, 12:16 AM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Default linkage

I think the problem is they mean lubricate it with a squirt of oil, not enough to accumulate any quantity.
If you see the linkage, you will understand the squirt of oil thing.
If there's a sack of fluid, you need to investigate, and remove the center console, and the upper shift boot and plate, and clean out the water that's in there.
That could be the problem .
also, I read somewhere that the steering lock linkage is part of the shifter linkage total package, and that it could cause rough shifting.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:40 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

That is just a shifter boot to keep the linkage sealed off. The factory shifter has what looks like silicone lube. I wouldn't do anything to clean it out or wash away this lube unless you replace it with the same.

I doubt motor oil will do squat. It won't stay on there.

And the shifter feel is mostly from inside the trans itself.

Get notified of new replies

To Lubricate Shift Linkage?

Quick Reply: Lubricate Shift Linkage?