C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Got my AFR 210 LT4 Eliminators this week

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 10:40 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys -- sorry, been away for a couple of days. My wife just had our second baby yesterday!

The heads were flowed with a 4.150 bore which was larger than I would have wanted since they're going on a 4.03 bore block. I'm not sure if he used a pipe or not -- I'll have to call him to check.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:42 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkBychowski
Hi guys -- sorry, been away for a couple of days. My wife just had our second baby yesterday!
Congrat's, hope all is well!!
Old 08-24-2007, 10:44 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

The heads were flowed with a 4.150 bore which was larger than I would have wanted since they're going on a 4.03 bore block. I'm not sure if he used a pipe or not -- I'll have to call him to check.
Awesome. Boy/Girl weight etc etc.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:04 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Thanks!

She's a beautiful little girl. Her name is Julia. 7 pounds, 8 ounces.

My 2-year-old daughter already loves the 'Vette, so I'm hoping this one has the gene too
Old 08-25-2007, 07:43 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Congrats!
Old 08-26-2007, 02:20 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Thanks Brian!

I just found something else out on the heads. I just got my GM LT4 gaskets (the 777 "off-road" gaskets). I threw one on the head just to see how much difference there was. The bottom, left, and right are basically spot on except for the larger corner radius AFR uses (which I knew about). I was a little surprised, though, that the top of the head port is about 1/8" or so lower than the gasket.

To be fair, AFR specifically states on their web site that the heads don't match the gaskets. I'm just struggling now to see if I should get the tops of the ports raised up to match and blend them in a few inches in to the port. My intake runners are already CNC'd to match the 777 gasket. Obviously, my big fear is that I don't want to hurt the flow on the heads. At the same time I don't want to leave too much on the table in terms of flow. That's a decent amount of material which would increase the port size by a few CC's and raise the overall runner height which theoretically should be a good thing, but we all know that porting is an art/science and things that look like they should increase power can end up hurting it and wasting money.
Why do I love this hobby again?

I'll post some pics later tonight along with exact measurements of the difference in port size -- if the baby cooperates
Old 08-26-2007, 04:22 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

I checked again -- looks like it's closer to 3/16" than 1/8" at the top. Here are the pics:

GM 777 gasket on the AFR head

GM 777 gasket on stock LT4 head

I think I'll check with my builder and PM Tony M. to see what they think since they both know a heck of a lot more than me!
Old 08-26-2007, 04:44 PM
bogor
Instructor

Thanks!

She's a beautiful little girl. Her name is Julia.
Mark, It looks like we have a lot in common; we both have Eliminator 210 heads and the name of my 5 months old daughter is Julia
Old 08-26-2007, 06:16 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Good man on both counts!
Old 08-26-2007, 07:55 PM
Vette Threat
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

What cam are you going to be running and what springs did you chose. I see a double spring in the picks, are you going solid roller?
Old 08-26-2007, 08:35 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

It's a custom grind: 230 / 234 @.05
.622 / .624 valve lift (with 1.6 rockers)
Hydraulic

I'm using the new GMPP racing lifters. Between those and the lighter LS1 valves, the builder is convinced it will run past 7500 (although it will be done making power by 7K).

The springs are comp cams, but I'm not sure on their specs. We pulled the AFR springs off as they were designed for a solid roller. The pics on the first page have the old springs.

There's a post in the the engine mods section with all the details on the motor. It's nothing too wild. If anything I'm wondering if I should have gone with more duration on the cam, but it should be OK as is.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:49 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

It's a custom grind: 230 / 234 @.05
.622 / .624 valve lift (with 1.6 rockers)
Hydraulic
You may not get those really impressive peak dyno numbers. But, I think that camshaft will work real well in a 370 ci street engine.

I'm running a 224/230 605/622 in my stock ci LT1. It was very easy to tune, will cruise around at 1100 rpms without bucking, and will pull to the moon.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:03 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

That's good to hear -- that's what I'm looking for!
Old 09-26-2007, 10:56 PM
Vette Threat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DVS LT1
I might need to spend even MORE money taking them to Augustino Racing to have them ported/tweaked further.
Agostino Racing went bankrupt years ago but for the record, my friend has the AFR 205 LS1 head which these eliminators are based on. He did a heads and cam there and his motor made more power with the AFR heads out of the box than any Agostino heads and cam they ever did when they ported heads of any brand.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:36 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And BTW if this thread is still active in the next few weeks I will post the flowbench results of my new AFR 210 Eliminator heads once I get that done.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:47 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Hi Randy,

Yes, the GM racing lifters will work. My motor isn't fully assembled yet, but my builder has put together a couple LT1's already with them. The plunger height is slightly different (can't recall if it's higher or lower) so you'll probably need new pushrods. Normal LSX lifters are also interchangable with LT1's and L98s -- pretty much the only part that is.

Regarding the flow numbers, I'd be very interested in seeing what numbers you get. The ones my builder's bench came up with were definitely lower than I expected. However, I also had him flow a stock LT4 head and the numbers he came up with on those were also noticably lower than any other stock LT4 flow numbers I've seen. He specifically mentioned that his bench reads lower than most.

By the way, which porting level did you get (Race or Comp)? Mine are Comp.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:01 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackRoseLT1
My AFR 220's required me to run taller valvecovers and grind away some of the alternator. No idea if these will require the same, just food for thought.
I had to do the same thing. I had to go with 1/4" taller covers from ProForm.

Jake

Get notified of new replies

To Got my AFR 210 LT4 Eliminators this week

Old 09-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Vette Threat
Burning Brakes

Say Vette Threat where is a good shop to go to these days??? I've been to AutoWorx in Etobicoke (once affiliated with or owned by Augustino) and will leave it at that; Have been to RollingThunerz in Concord for some work before; I've heard Redline/Firestone in Scarborough is a good place for tuning.
Where's an honest (1) and reliable (2) one-stop hope in town where you can say, "here is my car, here is my longblock, here is my tranny, my rear end, and new suspension/chasis parts - put them all together and tune it".
Thanks for any advice.

IMHO there is no such shop in Toronto. The only person I trust to work on my car is me. The shops you listed all have ALOT of controversy surrounding them and for that reason I would not recomend them to anyone. There are some people happy with them, and others that want to burn their shop and houses to the ground.

I do know however seperate places to get all that stuff done. You can PM me now, I cleaned out my inbox.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:56 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Threat
IMHO there is no such shop in Toronto. The only person I trust to work on my car is me. The shops you listed all have ALOT of controversy surrounding them and for that reason I would not recomend them to anyone. There are some people happy with them, and others that want to burn their shop and houses to the ground.

I do know however seperate places to get all that stuff done. You can PM me now, I cleaned out my inbox.
There's not much I leave to the shoppe to do besides build the motor. Alot of the detail work etc I still insist on myself. There's one thing i know for SURE, the next time I decide to build a motor I'm going over the border.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:12 PM
Vette Threat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pryderei
There's not much I leave to the shoppe to do besides build the motor. Alot of the detail work etc I still insist on myself. There's one thing i know for SURE, the next time I decide to build a motor I'm going over the border.

http://www.w2wpowertrain.com/t-services-2.aspx

Quick Reply: Got my AFR 210 LT4 Eliminators this week