C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Plenum Porting? Will it work well, how to do it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2001, 08:31 PM
Andy1983
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plenum Porting? Will it work well, how to do it?

Just would like a little more info. about Plenum Porting to increase my knowledge. Basically, how well will the porting be? I assume I would only port/polish the mouth of the plenum, but how effective would that be with ported heads/intake/52mm TB/headers/and a hot cam (to name the major mods).
Thanks in advance,
Andy

[Modified by Andy1983, 9:32 PM 11/3/2001]
Old 11-03-2001, 09:16 PM
AS84
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Plenum Porting? Will it work well, how to do it? (Andy1983)

Honestly its not going put you in your seat any harder when you punch it. If you have some extra time on your hands go for it. To ge the most out of your cam/heads I would ditch the stock plenum.
Old 11-03-2001, 09:56 PM
BobMachus
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Plenum Porting? Will it work well, how to do it? (AS84)

I did what can be considered a medium heavy porting job on my plenum and TB, and certainly couldn't feel any improvement. As far as drag strip times are concerned I didn't pick up much. I did a few mods at the same time (AFPR). I am of the opinion that every little bit helps. Even if you can't tell with a single mod, eventually all the little ones, if done correctly will start to add up to measurable gains. I absolutely agree with AS84 and think that if you want absolute gains ditch the stock plenum, but the SR cost a lot than porting the stock one. I am going to fully siamese the runner ports on my plenum soon, as anything that increases plenum volume is good.

I cut down the egr wall just behind the TB, I used a carbide mill/burr to do the najor hogging of material, then a die grinder and a Standard Abrasives deluxe porting and polishing kit (includes stones, sandpaper rolls, and scotchbrite buffs). I also smoothed the hard transitions on the TB bore. It is amaingly easy and looks cool when yer done. But of course it is inside your engine so only you know how cool it looks.

Someone here has a good set of pics about their plenum porting project. Romeo Barrera is that you?

[Modified by BobMachus, 7:23 PM 11/3/2001]

[Modified by BobMachus, 7:24 PM 11/3/2001]
Old 11-04-2001, 12:10 AM
Romeo Barrera
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Plenum Porting? Will it work well, how to do it? (BobMachus)

Who me? :p: Check out my website in my signature.

Get notified of new replies

To Plenum Porting? Will it work well, how to do it?

Quick Reply: Plenum Porting? Will it work well, how to do it?