C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

rear of car steering?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 08:16 PM
c5wolf
Melting Slicks

Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

Default rear of car steering?

It seems as if the rear of my car pulls to the left when you give it gas and then pulls to the right when you let off.Makes me think that I must look drunk.It does this with even a little gas such as with the cruise control.You hit accel or resume and it does but pulls to the left and then when you correct it it is o.k unless you hit coast and then car goes to the right.It does this the same continuosly which is very annoying and people think I am trying to run them off the road.Any Ideas or has anyone had this before and how did you fix?
Old 08-05-2007, 11:59 PM
Trog
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

You need to check several things to eliminate... first would be the rear toe system. Could be loose or failing tie rod ends or just plain out of alignment. A "TRUSTED" alignment shop should be able to check ALL of the various components (upper & lower control rod, toe etc) for loose/wear.

One last thing to check is the C-beam bolts at both ends. The rear 3rd member & the tail of the transmission. May require dropping your exhaust to get at it... You need to make sure they torque these to spec, not just tight. If they are loose, consider buying the beam plates from ZFdoc.com. Some like em, some don't. I use em & the make short work of getting those bolts in & they STAY tight.

Good Luck!
Old 08-06-2007, 08:17 AM
imp65409
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I had the same thing happen to me and It was a bad U-joint. The u-joint started making noise and a few minutes later my car was driving he same way as yours. I have never even heard of this happening and it blew my mind when it happend. I guess the one half-shaft way spinning at a different rate then the other one was. The u-joint was really bad and the shaft was loose. Put new u-joints in and all is good.

Anyway... Any noise comming from your rear end? U-joints good?? Half-shafts good?

If thats all good than go with what "Trog" said.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Old 08-06-2007, 02:12 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Get under your car and look at the 2 or 3 bolts holding the toe link system to the differential. the bolts are probably loose. I had this sensation after replacing to a beefier VBP setup and when they didnt tighten those bolts the car was all over the highway especially scarier at higher speeds.

Last edited by 5abivt; 08-06-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:37 PM
c5wolf
Melting Slicks

Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

o.k guys thanks again I will start checking everything mentioned

Get notified of new replies

To rear of car steering?

Quick Reply: rear of car steering?