C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Lowering the vette ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 08:18 PM
red L98
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Lowering the vette ???

Hey guys,

Getting ready to put the finishing touch on my car, the car sits very low in the rear after the 12 bolt swap. The front on the other hand sits higher than it ever did, my new hood is only 20lbs and i took lots of weight off the front.

I found this homepage witch I believe belongs to a member here on the forum. His instructions require removing the whole leaf spring off the car and gluing the new wedges that come with the common lower kit. I want to get the car as low as possible and don’t want to glue the thinner wedges.

http://webpages.charter.net/khasting.../lowering.html

1. Can this be done without taking the leaf spring off the car?
2. also most likely the brackets that hold the leaf spring would need to be machined down ??

3. how much do thing this step will lower the car ?
Old 08-22-2007, 09:09 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by red L98
Hey guys,

Getting ready to put the finishing touch on my car, the car sits very low in the rear after the 12 bolt swap. The front on the other hand sits higher than it ever did, my new hood is only 20lbs and i took lots of weight off the front.

I found this homepage witch I believe belongs to a member here on the forum. His instructions require removing the whole leaf spring off the car and gluing the new wedges that come with the common lower kit. I want to get the car as low as possible and don’t want to glue the thinner wedges.

http://webpages.charter.net/khasting.../lowering.html

1. Can this be done without taking the leaf spring off the car?
2. also most likely the brackets that hold the leaf spring would need to be machined down ??

3. how much do thing this step will lower the car ?
That is CentralCoaster's page. You can cut the stock rubber off the spring without removing it but it can be difficult to get it all off and not nick the spring. From what I have read, around an inch drop. You can cut off the rubber on the spring ends for more drop.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:41 PM
red L98
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
That is CentralCoaster's page. You can cut the stock rubber off the spring without removing it but it can be difficult to get it all off and not nick the spring. From what I have read, around an inch drop. You can cut off the rubber on the spring ends for more drop.
Yeah I tried doing it the easy way but it didn’t work, so i did the same way everyone else does it . So its a inch drop with the wedge? can i not put anything and just cut of the stock rubber ? also my car has the steel brackets do i need to upgrade to the aluminum ones or i can just cut and weld the steel ones ? you think ill get a 2 inch drop doing it that way .....
Old 08-22-2007, 10:09 PM
TorchRedRob
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're in the mood for a long read, here's what I documented when I did mine:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...7&postcount=51

Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Lowering the vette ???

Quick Reply: Lowering the vette ???