C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

91 wheel refinish - DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2001, 01:02 AM
TomH91
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Default 91 wheel refinish - DIY?

I would like to refinish the factory wheels on my 91 but the prices I have been given by shops are :eek: scary (about $155/wheel). These are the silver finish wheels, and it has been suggested that I could simply give them a thorough light sanding and repaint them myself. I am willing to spend the prep time if I can locate the correct paint and clearcoat. Has anyone had any luck with this, and can you recommend a source for the necessary materials? I want to keep these wheels with the car and do not want to chrome them or polish them.
Old 11-07-2001, 02:26 AM
Larrym96815
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: 91 wheel refinish - DIY? (TomH91)

Would you be interested in buying another set of OEM 91 wheels in very good condtion? I would sell the whole set for less than the price you quoted. E-mail me if interested.

Aloha,
Larry
Old 11-07-2001, 03:47 AM
ToniH
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Hi,

I wanted to do that too. Screwed up the job as I thought there is only clear coat and not realizing that they are painted too. Used paint stripper to get the clear coat off. Aluminium surface under the paint is very rough. Estimated atleast a days sanding per wheel to get it perfectly smooth. Ended up buyng 2 new wheels. :mad

Ps. note the picture in my sig. Fronts are stock '91 and rears are '93 as a result of this. Note also the different finish, the rears are more shiny.

In retrospect I should have given the job to a shop and will do that if I decide to restore them. My current plan is to use the original wheels during the snowy season and buy a new set for my summer tires.

Trying to paint the wheels with old paint on it is quite risky as there might be contaminants (for example silicone) that you cannot sand off and which can cause peeling and paint boiling afterwards.

Good luck, sorry if I discouraged you. It can be done but lots of work is involved.

Greets,

ToniH

[Modified by ToniH, 9:49 AM 11/7/2001]
Old 11-07-2001, 09:06 AM
91-Z07Coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may want to go ahead and polish them yourself. Eastwood (www.eastwoodco.com) sells a wheel polishing kit for like $75. You will be able to make you stock wheels look like chrome. This is what I'm planning to do this winter to my wheels.
Old 11-09-2001, 01:15 AM
TomH91
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the good news/bad news. Looks like if I refinish them, I'd best leave it to the pros. Yes, I would consider a purchase (shipping from HI must be a $$$, though). I am pretty disappointed by the price I was given since replica 5-spokes are available for $700/set.
Old 11-09-2001, 05:39 AM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

POR-15 makes a 2 part finish to put on your wheels. It is supposed to be very durable and not yellow. I purchased it at Carsile, but have not used it yet. (winter project) I currently have the wheels stripped and I polished them myself. They dont look bad, (look a lot better then they did) but for me the extra work in keeping bare alum. polished isnt worth it. Thats why Im recoating them this winter.

Get notified of new replies

To 91 wheel refinish - DIY?

Quick Reply: 91 wheel refinish - DIY?