C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Any Tips to Make Back up and side Marker Lamps Look New Again?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2001, 10:44 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Any Tips to Make Back up and side Marker Lamps Look New Again?

I know I can already use some polish/compounds and etc to help make them shine,but I rem. reading somewhere one can wet sand the lens to remove the cloudy haze off them before polishing and if so, what grit of paper does one use that wont severely scratch the plastics?

The reverse lamps have darkened quite a bit and also I have some red overspray from a lousy older repaint on some of the lamp edges.
Whats the best way to remove this as well?
Lacquer thinner? or wet sand everything off,smooth, and then polish to a shine?

TIA!
:)

Old 11-07-2001, 10:57 PM
Admiral Fairway
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Any Tips to Make Back up and side Marker Lamps Look New Again? (Bill's86Coupe)

I read different threads where people say they have used toothpaste to polish plastic lenses.
Old 11-07-2001, 11:06 PM
Springer's LT4
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Re: Any Tips to Make Back up and side Marker Lamps Look New Again? (cnl3rd)

Yup... toothpaste works well. MAD has plastic cleaner.. I think the brand is Fritz?

Old 11-08-2001, 12:40 AM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Any Tips to Make Back up and side Marker Lamps Look New Again? (Springer's 95)

Toothpaste eh? Worth a shot..btw, I dont recommend using lacquer thinner on these plastics, it will eat away at it.I tried a very little on a rag to see what would happen on a very small spot of the lens thats not visible mounted to the car and it made it turn white and ate at the plastic a bit.

I still would like to know if theres a way to wet sand and THEN polish the plastics.
Either way ill give the paste a try.
Thanks.
:)
Old 11-08-2001, 01:22 AM
JonM
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Any Tips to Make Back up and side Marker Lamps Look New Again? (Bill's86Coupe)

1000 then 1500 then 2000 grit sandpaper then some good plastic compound made for removing small scratches.

Old 11-08-2001, 01:32 AM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Any Tips to Make Back up and side Marker Lamps Look New Again? (JonM)

Thanks Jon,
I will prob. try that in steps.

Btw people,I DID try the toothpaste a few ago and its alot brighter now.But its not much different then when I used a polishing compound and buffed lenses before.
But I have to say its a great tip.It got alot of the haze off.Mine need a bit of work and Ill see how sanding THEN polishing works.I want to get them like new...the prices for these small lenses New really take a hit outta the wallet.

Old 11-08-2001, 05:14 AM
johndezman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i 'd be happy if mine would work....
Old 11-09-2001, 08:46 PM
Admiral Fairway
Burning Brakes

Anyone have a good idea for cleaning the area inside the front parking lights(between the lense and the bulb), mine is full of dirt and dust and just looks bad.
Old 11-09-2001, 11:06 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I rem. reading somewhere one can wet sand the lens to remove the cloudy haze off them before polishing and if so, what grit of paper does one use that wont severely scratch the plastics?
I've never tried sand paper, but I have had great success with the line of plastic cleaners / polishers from 3M - you can find it in boating accessory stores. Make sure you don't get windex or ammonia based cleaners near the plastic - it'll dull and haze it in a second. I made that mistake near my backup lights - haven't had time to polish it back out yet. :smash:

Get notified of new replies

To Any Tips to Make Back up and side Marker Lamps Look New Again?

Quick Reply: Any Tips to Make Back up and side Marker Lamps Look New Again?