C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Electrical drain

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 03:19 PM
Paula J.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical drain

Well, we are back in the shop again. I am on battery #3 in the last 3 years, so it's not the battery that is the problem, and they say it's not the alternator. Put the last new battery in last Thurs., yesterday it was dead-dead. Had it towed to the dealer service shop and they put in yet another new battery and said it started draining right away when the car was turned off. Now they are starting at the front to the end checking all wires for a short. $$$$$

Has anyone had this problem, and if so what was the outcome?

Paula
Old 09-13-2007, 03:37 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Until the source is found it's going to go dead. Finding the circuit isn't difficult. Place a meter in series with the battery and pull fuses until it stops. Digging into that circuit to find it can be problematic. If your shop doesn't know how or doesn't have access to a schematic, find one that does. Guessing at what it might be doesn't do any good and you're paying someone to do this right?
Old 09-13-2007, 04:24 PM
Paula J.
Instructor

Default Electrical drain

Ok, thanks for the advice. I will see if the Chevrolet dealer where it is at is doing something like this, it sounds like they were when they last called.
Paula
Old 09-15-2007, 05:48 AM
Paula J.
Instructor

Default Electrical Drain

Turns out it was the power seat switch under the driver seat causing the drain. They couldn't find one used or new, so rather than disconnecting it I am pulling the relay out of the fuse panel when I am not using the car. I need to check around for a used switch.
Paula
Old 09-15-2007, 07:30 AM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

that was what was draining mine too. unhooked it and the battery is now good even after 2 weeks or more of setting. only put up w/ that for about 3 years

Mine I actually heard while working on my brakes. It work click and act like it was trying to move the seat, but nothing moved....it would do it ittermittantly every 15-30sec.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Paula J.
Instructor

Default Electrical drain seat power switch

I was going to have them unhook it, but they said they had to pull the center console out to get to it, I was already $650 in just labor time, so I said I would do the relay way. Do you find it a problem not having your seat able to adjust, I know I never change mine, but what if someone else was to drive it.

Have you ever looked for a replacement switch?

Get notified of new replies

To Electrical drain

Quick Reply: Electrical drain