C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Please help! AC blows cold then hot

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 09:19 PM
Madeline
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help! AC blows cold then hot

The AC on my 1992 blows extremely cold but then randomly switches to warm/hot air even when the snow flake button has a green light. There seems to be no pattern to the switching between cold air and warm air. Any suggestions on what the problem is?
Old 09-13-2007, 09:51 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

sounds like the mixing door is possessed.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:21 AM
jimg's'93
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Watch the compressor while the engine is running w/ the a/c on coldest. See if the clutch is engaging/disengaging. On mine, the wires going to the coil on the clutch were bare and contacting the compressor housing. When I pressed down on the connector mounted on the compressor, the clutch would engage until it once again shorted.

If that's your problem, Ecklers sells a new connector assembly for about $15. I repaired the wires on the clutch (after removing it) with heat-shrink tubing.

I was having the same symptoms as you....hope that's all it is!
Old 09-14-2007, 12:59 PM
Madeline
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by jimg's'93
Watch the compressor while the engine is running w/ the a/c on coldest. See if the clutch is engaging/disengaging. On mine, the wires going to the coil on the clutch were bare and contacting the compressor housing. When I pressed down on the connector mounted on the compressor, the clutch would engage until it once again shorted.

If that's your problem, Ecklers sells a new connector assembly for about $15. I repaired the wires on the clutch (after removing it) with heat-shrink tubing.

I was having the same symptoms as you....hope that's all it is!
Yes, the compressor is kicking on and off. Where is the clutch located? On top of being female, I'm very new at this stuff and any detail is so appreciated!
Old 09-14-2007, 01:12 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Could it be possible youre just low on freon?
Old 09-14-2007, 03:33 PM
91polo
Intermediate

Mine did the same thing and it was low on freon. Have it checked.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:58 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Compressor is part of the accessory drive train and spun by the belt. For the LT motors, it's mounted on the left side of the engine and the clutch is on the front of it. With the hood up and the a/c running, you should be able to observe the clutch engage and disengage - if that is in fact what it's doing. It shouldn't be, if it's 70 degrees or better out and the system is fully charged, though the specs are 8 cycles or less - or engagements/disengagements - within 1 minute at this temperature. You can count them while you watch the second hand on your watch if you like.

The '92 actually monitors how frequently this engagement/disengagement thing is going on, and if it happens really fast, it shuts the system down as that is what an a/c system will do if it's low on gas. However, if it's cycling at 70 degrees or better outside, I'd stop by an a/c shop and have it checked out. Takes about 5 minutes and a lot will do it for free because they make a lot more money fixing leaks - and they will want to fix yours if the gas has leaked out.

Get notified of new replies

To Please help! AC blows cold then hot

Quick Reply: Please help! AC blows cold then hot