C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Power surges at 3000 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 10:55 AM
GS#378
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power surges at 3000 RPM

The car is a GS with no internal engine work. It's been dyno tuned, and runs a 100 shot of nitrous. I use the Nitrous Express MAF housing for delivery. In addittion, the car has an open air box, bypassed TB coolant line, relocated temp sensor, NGK TR55 plugs and MSD 8.5mm wires, long tube headers, racing cats, and Magnaflow exhaust. The car has always run strong until the nitrous install; that's when the problem started). It has only been shot on the dyno and never on the street.
The Problem: Up to 3000 RPM, at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, the car feels under-powered (in any gear). Once it hits 3000 RPM, the power surges on like you hit a switch. I have taken it to the dealer and 3 mechanics. There are no codes, idle is fine, and the car just passed emmissions. Problem occurs hot or cold. One mechanic claimed that one of the Oxygen sensors was rattling against the body and that this was causing the timing to retard. Another changed the plugs, and yet another said that it might be the MAF ( though we didnt try replacing it). Nothing so far has made this problem go away.

Can anyone give me some insight on where to look?

Quick Reply: Power surges at 3000 RPM