C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rebuilding L98

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 04:50 PM
kowalski340
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding L98

it's time to rebuild my L98 and I am on a serious budget so I am looking for a rebuild kit for the right price please help me out!!! I need to get get my baby back on the road
Old 09-30-2007, 06:04 PM
all show and more go
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u can keep the rods like me and maybe the crank so u can save $$$ there, i would get FORGED pitons, trust me, go forged just in case u need more power(nitrous) then go for a bigger cam! cnc ported head work and put some rr's on them!
Old 09-30-2007, 06:43 PM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Several places offer a rebuild kit for fairly little money for SBCs. First of all, why are you rebuilding it (rod knock, low compression, etc)? If the crank and rods are good, keep 'em. Use Hypereutectic pistons, IMHO. They're fine if you aren't gonna use nitrous. The stock crank and rods are good to atleast 400 horses if they're not scored or anything. Summit sells a kit with pistons, rings, bearings, a full gasket set, and an oil pump for about $300. If you're gonna bore it while you're at it (and I'd recommend it) get the pistons first and find a good machine shop. Oughta cost around a hundred bucks to bore and hone the cylinders. Add a cam/lifters package and you're good to go. If you're doing the work yourself and using the stock crank and rods you can do a decent rebuild for around $750.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:42 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by all show and more go
u can keep the rods like me and maybe the crank so u can save $$$ there, i would get FORGED pitons, trust me, go forged just in case u need more power(nitrous) then go for a bigger cam! cnc ported head work and put some rr's on them!
woll rods lik u hold up to "FORGED pitons" (sic) duz bigger cam! cnc ported head work an rr's on them! savs mony u can follow "trust me" or u se can follow ur gut

NORTHERN AUTOMOTIVE offers some of the most economical stock type rebuild kits, and pieces parts, I have ever seen. Click on the link and have a field day.

RACE ON!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuilding L98

Quick Reply: Rebuilding L98