C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Vette LT1 and F-body LT1 visual differences

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 08:10 PM
streettrim
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vette LT1 and F-body LT1 visual differences

A guy is putting a '93 "vette" engine into my grandpaws 1992 vette. I don't trust it and I think it's a Camaro engine b/c he is using the original valve covers from the '92 because "the ones on replacement motor aren't as nice." (F-bodies i know come with cheap black covers) Anyway is there a stamping on the heads/block or something to look for that would show that it is an F-body instead of a Corvette (other than opening the oil pan to see if the mains are 2 bolts or 4)???
Any input is greatly appreciated,
Thanks
Old 10-01-2007, 10:27 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by streettrim
A guy is putting a '93 "vette" engine into my grandpaws 1992 vette. I don't trust it and I think it's a Camaro engine b/c he is using the original valve covers from the '92 because "the ones on replacement motor aren't as nice." (F-bodies i know come with cheap black covers) Anyway is there a stamping on the heads/block or something to look for that would show that it is an F-body instead of a Corvette (other than opening the oil pan to see if the mains are 2 bolts or 4)???
Any input is greatly appreciated,
Thanks
No. The block/heads/rotating assembly are all the same, EXCEPT for the 4 bolt mains. If you are leaving it stock, I doubt it will make any difference at all where it came from.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:41 PM
biggrizzly
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist

The "cheap" plastic valve covers on the 93 are composite valve covers used to reduce valvetrain noise. Actually they are not very cheap and worth more than the older style.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:06 PM
streettrim
Intermediate

I was talking about the camaro valve covers being cheap...Thats what kind of tipped me off thinking that it came from a camaro b/c the composite ones that come on the 93 and up are like you said better than the 92's and it didnt make sense that he wanted to keep the originals when the 93's were so much better.

I just don't like to see people get F'''ed over...I thought the camaro only produced 275/285hp because of the cam but if they have the same rotating assembly it must have been restrictive airflow?
Old 10-02-2007, 12:17 AM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by streettrim
I was talking about the camaro valve covers being cheap...Thats what kind of tipped me off thinking that it came from a camaro b/c the composite ones that come on the 93 and up are like you said better than the 92's and it didnt make sense that he wanted to keep the originals when the 93's were so much better.

I just don't like to see people get F'''ed over...I thought the camaro only produced 275/285hp because of the cam but if they have the same rotating assembly it must have been restrictive airflow?
Same heads/cam/intake manifold the HP difference is in the exhaust and the air intake to the TB. The accessaries are different too but the block casting is the same however, as already mentioned the F-bodies have 2 bolt mains. Pull the pan if you want to be sure.

Mike
Old 10-02-2007, 01:20 AM
kylebuck89
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

yeah i would check if it has a two bolt main.. my vette had one in it.. so we thihnk the motor was swaped at on time or another
Old 10-02-2007, 01:52 AM
ICANTDR55
Racer

my 92 corvette has cheap looking black valvecovers on it also but I have a four bolt main engine so I know it is a corvette engine. But checking the main bearings is the best thing to do.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:03 AM
streettrim
Intermediate

hey thanks for all the responses, it was helpful!

Get notified of new replies

To Vette LT1 and F-body LT1 visual differences

Quick Reply: Vette LT1 and F-body LT1 visual differences