C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Harmonic Balancer

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 09:47 PM
mvr600
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harmonic Balancer

Hi I just change my timing cover gasket today, and got a new harmonic balancer, because my old balancer was about to fail. The old balancer had the line marking right at 0 in the timing cover when I removed it. Now that I'm trying to install the new balancer the mark is at the 12:00 o'clock position, and that is the only way that the balancer will go in.
Now my question is how is this going to affect the car?.

In the instructions for the new balancer it says that it will be necessary to check the clearance between the exciter rings an the cranckshaft sensor BEFORE RUNNING THE CAR. Failure to do this will damage the crnakshat.

How do you check the clearance?

Thank you for the help!
Old 10-08-2007, 06:41 AM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mvr600
Hi I just change my timing cover gasket today, and got a new harmonic balancer, because my old balancer was about to fail. The old balancer had the line marking right at 0 in the timing cover when I removed it. Now that I'm trying to install the new balancer the mark is at the 12:00 o'clock position, and that is the only way that the balancer will go in.

In the instructions for the new balancer it says that it will be necessary to check the clearance between the exciter rings an the cranckshaft sensor BEFORE RUNNING THE CAR. Failure to do this will damage the crnakshat.

Thank you for the help!
Your profile is blank, and your post contains no useful info regarding, model year, engine type etc. It will be very hard for others to help because of this.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:30 AM
mvr600
Heel & Toe

Yes, I'm sorry about not including the essential information.

My car is a 1984 C4 automatic, L83.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

An 84 vette uses a standard harmonic balancer. To replace it, remove the old one with a puller, and install the new one with a harmonic balancer install tool. Replace the bolts, and tighten to the factory torque specs, and you will be fine. No exciter rings, or hidden suprises.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:26 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

The old balancer had the line marking right at 0 in the timing cover when I removed it. Now that I'm trying to install the new balancer the mark is at the 12:00 o'clock position, and that is the only way that the balancer will go in.
Either you have the wrong damper or the ring had turned on your old damper. Chevy has several different timing mark locations. If you have the wrong damper, it will be almost impossible to set your timing correctly. To check for the right damper, you are going to have to get the number 1 piston to TDC without paying any attention to what the damper markings say. Once it IS at TDC, check that the markings also says TDC. If it says TDC, it is the correct damper. If not, it's time to get the right damper.

Those instructions don't apply to a 1984, L83. You have no exciter rings or a crankshaft sensor.

RACE ON!!!
Old 10-08-2007, 10:08 PM
mvr600
Heel & Toe

Thank you for the help. I'm going to try that this weekend.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:18 PM
mvr600
Heel & Toe

I replace the harmonic balancer and the car is starting just find. Thank you very much per your help.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:08 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

It is good the hear that you got it done. You are welcome for my small part.

RACE ON!!!
Old 10-24-2007, 02:56 PM
IcemanZ06
Le Mans Master

how often do these need to be replaced? how would you know if it was about to fail?
Old 10-24-2007, 07:54 PM
Brimis
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

I replace the harmonic balancer and the car is starting just find. Thank you very much per your help.
Good job.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:06 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete K
Your profile is blank, and your post contains no useful info regarding, model year, engine type etc. It will be very hard for others to help because of this.
Way to Go, Pete. I just posted much the same thing to a guy having timing chain set woes.

Jake

Get notified of new replies

To Harmonic Balancer

Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer