C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Intermittent Electrical Problem

Old 10-13-2007, 04:31 PM
FussBudget
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Intermittent Electrical Problem

I hope someone out in Corvertte-Land can help me.
Here are the symptoms:
Driving along normally, minding my own business, when suddenly I feel a ˝ second loss of power and the following symptoms:
ASR light comes on
Speedometer goes to zero
Idle jumps to 1500 RPM
Service Engine light comes on
Security light starts to flash
Transmission won't downshift
Low power
Won’t accelerate
Jerky performance
Distinct odor wafting into the interior – heavy – rotten eggs/pungent/partially burned gas smell
Seems like the primary computer goes whacky, so the car flips over to a backup computer so I can crawl home.
This has been happening daily for one week
Couldn’t pull engine codes (it is OBD I) I have OBD II reader
I am thinking it is a connector or ground problem. Reseated many connections under the hood. Seems better - but still misbehaving.
Any brilliant ideas?
Thanks!
Old 10-13-2007, 04:34 PM
williammackean
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by madmanjim
Distinct odor wafting into the interior – heavy – rotten eggs/pungent/partially burned gas smell
Sounds like your cat is plugging up when warm. It may be causing back pressure and pushing thru a joint causing the smell. This could trip all sorts of codes and set your computer to 'limp home' mode.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:01 PM
FussBudget
Instructor

Originally Posted by williammackean
Sounds like your cat is plugging up when warm. It may be causing back pressure and pushing thru a joint causing the smell. This could trip all sorts of codes and set your computer to 'limp home' mode.
Very interesting possibility. I will try to have it checked out.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:53 PM
LouisvilleLT4
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

It is imperative that you find out what code is being thrown. Why not take advantage of that available information about what the problem is. Do a search for the paperchip method, which allows you to pull OBD-1 codes from this car without a scanner.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:15 PM
arieswebb
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cat

Gut or pull the Cat
Old 10-13-2007, 09:51 PM
G-Sting
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Have you tried cleaning up the battery cables--especially the negative battery cable? If not, take a wire brush and clean the cable bolt and the battery post/inside screw hole really well. A loose/oxidized negative battery cable connection can cause all sorts of strange things to happen.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:02 PM
FussBudget
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gmans96Coupe
Have you tried cleaning up the battery cables--especially the negative battery cable? If not, take a wire brush and clean the cable bolt and the battery post/inside screw hole really well. A loose/oxidized negative battery cable connection can cause all sorts of strange things to happen.
Thanks for your tips. I will try to pull the codes tomorrow.

I did notice that the neg. battery terminal is quite corroded.... I will clean it tomorrow also.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:56 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Always post the year C4 you are asking help for, no one here is clairvoyant.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:35 AM
FussBudget
Instructor

Sorry, I assumed that all C4's were about the same. It is a 1993.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:42 PM
LouisvilleLT4
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by madmanjim
Sorry, I assumed that all C4's were about the same. It is a 1993.
Couldn't be farther from the truth. Twelve years was a long time for the C4 to undergo changes. The 1984 was a rather electrically simple and carbed. By 1996 it was a complicated wiring jungle with numerous technical issues fixed, the whole interior changed, not to mention every engine piece and everything in the engine bay was changed.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:07 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Location: Bergen County, NJ Democrats, doing for the country what they did for Michigan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by williammackean
Both good suggestions, but my money is on the cat.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:09 AM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

I wouldn't bet on it at this time, but if all else fails, the '92 and '93 ECM is notorious for problems -- and, from what I've seen in other posts, it's nearly impossible to get a new/refurbished one.

The ECM (engine computer) and CCM (body computer) communicate over a serial bus.
If one of these computers fails to commumicate with the other, strange things happen -- the symptom of the "Security" light flashing comes to mind.
If this communications breaks down, the "SYS" usually flashes in the dash display.

Tom Piper
Old 10-23-2007, 09:08 PM
FussBudget
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom Piper
I wouldn't bet on it at this time, but if all else fails, the '92 and '93 ECM is notorious for problems -- and, from what I've seen in other posts, it's nearly impossible to get a new/refurbished one.

The ECM (engine computer) and CCM (body computer) communicate over a serial bus.
If one of these computers fails to commumicate with the other, strange things happen -- the symptom of the "Security" light flashing comes to mind.
If this communications breaks down, the "SYS" usually flashes in the dash display.

Tom Piper
Tom:
You are speaking my language! When the system is misbehaving, if I tap the ECU the lights will extinguish, which tells me it is something in the ECU. Are they repairable or do I have to get a new one?
Old 10-24-2007, 10:54 AM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

better check the connections to make sure they're clean and tight. I haven't hear of anyone who repairs them...so if you find someone let us know please.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:51 PM
G-Sting
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rick lambert
better check the connections to make sure they're clean and tight. I haven't hear of anyone who repairs them...so if you find someone let us know please.
You may want to try some Deoxit or Deoxit Gold on all the cable connections to clean/recondition them (good stuff--can buy it at a Radio Shack). You may get lucky and it just be oxidized electrical contacts between the connections... and not the entire ECM, etc.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:57 PM
FussBudget
Instructor

Originally Posted by rick lambert
I spoke with Mid America Motorworks and they send them out for repair - takes about 4-5 weeks.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:59 PM
FussBudget
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gmans96Coupe
You may want to try some Deoxit or Deoxit Gold on all the cable connections to clean/recondition them (good stuff--can buy it at a Radio Shack). You may get lucky and it just be oxidized electrical contacts between the connections... and not the entire ECM, etc.
I reseated all my connections - and they all looked clean, I may try your cleaner.

Get notified of new replies

To Intermittent Electrical Problem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intermittent Electrical Problem