C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Spark Plug Fouled Out...Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 05:25 PM
The Batmobile
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug Fouled Out...Need Help

Hi, I have a spark plug that keeps fouling out. I think Ive seen somewhere that you can buy an extender to keep ot from fouling out???? Is this true, and are there any other tricks to try and keep it from fouling out. Thanks guys, Zak.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:50 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes, but that is a hack, temporary, repair. It is best to change plugs until you can get to fixing it. If it is fuel fouled, you need to fix it ASAP, as you are also diluting your oil. That puts you on the edge of a disaster. Otherwise it is oil and unless you have a low mileage engine that shouldn't need repair, it is really a time for an overhaul. You can check and diagnose where the oil is coming from, but unless it is valve stem oil seals, which really shouldn't foul plugs very quickly, it is time to yank it.

RACE ON!!!
Old 10-20-2007, 08:32 PM
The Batmobile
Instructor

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
Yes, but that is a hack, temporary, repair. It is best to change plugs until you can get to fixing it. If it is fuel fouled, you need to fix it ASAP, as you are also diluting your oil. That puts you on the edge of a disaster. Otherwise it is oil and unless you have a low mileage engine that shouldn't need repair, it is really a time for an overhaul. You can check and diagnose where the oil is coming from, but unless it is valve stem oil seals, which really shouldn't foul plugs very quickly, it is time to yank it.

RACE ON!!!

Our mechanic said it was the valve seals, but he BS the price. He said we needed a valve job and he wanted to charge us $1500. I can go get a crate 350 for that much. What do you suggest I do? Its only the #5 cylinder my mechanic told me. Thanks, Zak.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:43 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

You have a couple of choices. Number one, do a cylinder leak down test to determine if there are any compression leakage problems and where. If you find none, you can gamble the $20.00 for seals, $10.00 to $20.00 for valve cover gaskets, and a weekend to change the seals yourself.

RACE ON!!!
Old 10-20-2007, 08:50 PM
arandy
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

CFI in his other thread I suggested he check plug wire then compression first. He never mentioned what kind of fouling or if it was smoking. Just a couple of cheap easy checks.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:16 PM
The Batmobile
Instructor

Originally Posted by arandy
CFI in his other thread I suggested he check plug wire then compression first. He never mentioned what kind of fouling or if it was smoking. Just a couple of cheap easy checks.

Well its not smoking, and my mechanic said it was the valve seals. How difficult a fix is this? Im 16, can me and my Dad fix it relatively easy? Thanks, Zak.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:36 PM
86C4CONVERTIBLE4+3
Intermediate

If it was valve seals the car would smoke upon startup after sitting for awhile. After it's running it'll stop smoking. When the seals get really bad, the back plug on either side will oil foul. I had a 78 Z-28 back when I was just outta high school and I carried a box of plugs and a plug wrench in the glove box because one would finally get so fouled it wouldn't fire at all. Did make the car sound like it had a nice cam in it right before it fouled out completely.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:49 PM
The Batmobile
Instructor

So what do you guys think I should do?
Old 10-20-2007, 09:55 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

check your plug wire first
Old 10-20-2007, 10:10 PM
The Batmobile
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pryderei
check your plug wire first

Ill do that tomorrow...Thanks guys, ill let you know how its going tomorrow.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:42 AM
86C4CONVERTIBLE4+3
Intermediate

Is the plug wet from fuel, or oily? Fuel could be bad plug wire, distributor cap, stuck injector.

Get notified of new replies

To Spark Plug Fouled Out...Need Help

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Fouled Out...Need Help