C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

L98 Fuel Rail/Injector help

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 05:57 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 400 Likes on 327 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Default L98 Fuel Rail/Injector help

I've got the plenum off and the fuel rail loose. It won't come out as is, but Sam Lam's r/r procedure goes on.

It says to separate the fuel rail halves by disconnecting the cross rails. It also says to remove the EGR valve (must be it blocks getting the rail out)?

It also says the changing the injectors requires rotating the clips in the fuel rails clockwise until they release.

Since the fuel rail is loose, I could probably rotate the clips as described. To the injectors just fall out? Do you think it's necessary to take the rail all the way out? What, if any, parts would need to be replaced? Are there O-rings where the crossrails connect to the main rails?

Thanks
Gregg
Old 10-21-2007, 07:01 PM
Mickey1539
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing injectors

Gregg,
Remove the cross over tubes and the EGR valve. Take a screw driver and pry the injectors up from the bottom of the injector. Pry each injector a little at a time. It's probably a good idea to replace all the O rings on the injectors, fuel rail and the fuel line connections. When you place the new injectors into the fuel rail, put some oil on the O rings and make sure that you lock the injectors with the rotating clips. The injectors can go too far into the fuel rail if you don't have the clips on. Put oil on the O rings and manifold holes to help them go in. Push the fuel rail down a little at a time. It's a good time to replace the EGR valve.

Hope this helps, Mickey
Old 10-21-2007, 07:14 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mickey1539
Gregg,
Remove the cross over tubes and the EGR valve. Take a screw driver and pry the injectors up from the bottom of the injector. Pry each injector a little at a time. It's probably a good idea to replace all the O rings on the injectors, fuel rail and the fuel line connections. When you place the new injectors into the fuel rail, put some oil on the O rings and make sure that you lock the injectors with the rotating clips. The injectors can go too far into the fuel rail if you don't have the clips on. Put oil on the O rings and manifold holes to help them go in. Push the fuel rail down a little at a time. It's a good time to replace the EGR valve.

Hope this helps, Mickey
Pry the injectors up? They are already out of the holes. And, the new ones have O-rings. Thanks for the tip on oil. What kind... WD40?

(I was trying to see if I could get the injectors out of the fuel rail w/o disassembling the square. Sounds like a no.)
Old 10-21-2007, 07:20 PM
Mickey1539
Intermediate

Default L 98 Fuel injectors

Hi Greg,

If you don't have the new injectors, you can order a set of Sorrenson stock injectors for about $48.00 each from Auto Zone. My 1991 is stock and these injectors work very well. If you use hi-flow injectors, you will need to reprogram the ECM.

Mickey
Old 10-21-2007, 07:25 PM
Mickey1539
Intermediate

Default L98 Injectors

Hi Gregg,

Engine oil works fine to lube the O rings. You will need an Allen wrench to remove the cross over tubes from the fuel rails. There is no short cuts on this project. The cross over rails do have O rings.

Mickey
Old 10-21-2007, 07:35 PM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
oil. What kind ?
(I was trying to see if I could get the injectors out of the fuel rail w/o disassembling the square. Sounds like a no.)
motor oil...5w-30, etc.

square?--you mean fuel rails + cross-over tubes...no need to diassemble that ***'y, but laying it on it's back to r&r the injectors is very helpful...i've always removed the intake runners to remove the ''fuel rail ***'y'', tho.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:48 PM
Mickey1539
Intermediate

Default L98 Injectors

Gregg,

You can remove the fuel rail assembly if you take the cross over tubes apart. You don't need to remove the intake runners unless you want to. If you have all the parts and O rings ready, the project shoud take about 3 hours.

Mickey
Old 10-21-2007, 08:11 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mickey1539
Gregg,

You can remove the fuel rail assembly if you take the cross over tubes apart. You don't need to remove the intake runners unless you want to. If you have all the parts and O rings ready, the project shoud take about 3 hours.

Mickey
Ha! It's takes my 2 hours just to pump myself up for the project. I guess if you've done it several times, you might be faster.....

Anyway, I have it apart. I collapsed the fuel rail (square) and removed the EGR valve. It probably took 3 hours just for disassembly of the plenum, AIR router, TB, fuel rail, stripped air intake *****, etc... I went slowly and labeled just about everything. Now I need to remove the valve covers (leaky gaskets).

Also, I bought a set of factory new Standard Motor Products injectors over eBay for $160! FJ47s. This is the part NAPA sells and summit sells for about $60 each. woooo hoooo!

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 10-21-2007 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:40 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

just pull the runners, and let them soak in parts cleaner. 20 years worth of soot.... then you;ll spend 150 hours scrapping gaskets, but it's worth it.
and the middle intake bolts need to come out, and get permatexed in to stop the oil seepage.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:44 AM
bd2626
Drifting

Remember to use anti-seize on the bolts and torque to spec.....you'll feel good when you fire it back up....oh, have a fire extinguisher and the hood open when you first start her up!

Get notified of new replies

To L98 Fuel Rail/Injector help

Quick Reply: L98 Fuel Rail/Injector help