C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

85 rear wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 05:23 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Default 85 rear wheel bearing

Out for a ride yesterday with the wife here in upstate NY. Had the windows down and my wife said she could hear squeaking from her side in the back. Well I knew the rear brakes were due after 85k miles, so I took a look this morning. I was shocked!!! I jacked up the rear and the wheel had probably a quarter inch of play shaking the wheel back and forth and up and down. I see I can get the bearing through Wheel Bearings Direct for about $81 shipped.
Is it definitely unsafe to drive this car for any amount of miles. I'd wait until I get it out of storage in the spring if it could last another 500 miles this fall.
How bad a job is this part to change?
Thanks for your advice.
Mike
Old 10-22-2007, 08:33 PM
0Paul Ruggeri
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not too bad. The torxhead bolts that come in from the inside are a little hard to get to. Once you get those three bolts out you tap it loose then work it out around the ebrake parts. Be sure to check the 3 other bearings while you're at it.

Have fun, Paul
Old 10-22-2007, 10:07 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

I suggest that you get a impact rated torx for these bolts. I used a regular torx and twisted it in half trying to get one of these bolts out ....the impact rated torx worked fine.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:00 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
I suggest that you get a impact rated torx for these bolts. I used a regular torx and twisted it in half trying to get one of these bolts out ....the impact rated torx worked fine.
also, i found it much-much easier to drop the half shaft to get at the three torx bolts.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:42 AM
Brimis
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

If you do a search on replacing the bearing, you'll find a nice write up by I believe, Scorp.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:30 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Ok, my new bearing is due to arrive tomorrow so I got a head start. The bearing nut turned right off by hand and half the bearing came right out. Got the torx bolts loosened and the rest of the bearing came out. I've heard lots of talk about the washer that goes in back. Someone said it's teflon, but the one I have isn't. It's some kind of metal that is formed. It looks fine. Can't it be reused?
Also when reinstalling, I assume that the splines need a coat of axle grease or alike. Anything else I should grease? Thanks.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:59 PM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The washer has a light teflon coating. For the amount of work needed to replace the bearing, I wouldn't even consider Not replacing the washer as well. They're less than $10. There's tons of info about the washer on the forum if you do a search. GM part # should be 14076924.

A little bit of anti-seize on the splines is also recommended and the axle nut gets torqued to 180 ft/lbs. If you're pulling the axles, at least check your u-joints or replace them with Spicers.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:12 PM
85C4sX2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has there been a change in the torque setting for the nut on the spindle to hub & bearing? The torque spec in my 85 fsm lists the torque at 81 ft lbs.

Get notified of new replies

To 85 rear wheel bearing

Quick Reply: 85 rear wheel bearing