C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Performance comparison between earlier and later c4 corvette models

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 08:38 PM
crzydrumer14
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance comparison between earlier and later c4 corvette models

is it true that the later model c4s (1992 i think to 1996) are already tuned up pretty good where if you buy cold air, exhaust, chip it will not raise the hp and torque dramatically. If so if you put performance upgrades like such in an earlier model c4 will it be similiar or even greater in horsepower, etc.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:43 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You won't see any change with new air cleaner designs or airfoils. The K&N air filter will give better flow but at the expense of less filtering capabilities. Hence , the saying, "K&N at the track and paper on the road"
Old 10-24-2007, 12:44 AM
No Go
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never heard that saying toward K+N's...

I don't believe it either...

The original poster doesn't make sense...1996 LT4-330 HP...1984 Crossfire was it 205HP?
Old 10-24-2007, 12:53 AM
tpivette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i think what the original poster is trying to confirm is that the LT1s dont respond as well to simple changes like catback exhausts, CAIs and the like the way the TPI cars did
Old 10-24-2007, 01:24 AM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The TPI intake totally sucks. LT1 intake is much better, and can easily be ported to work pretty well. I would say buy the newest car you can afford. The reason the LTx cars don't respond as well to cheap bolt ons is the factory stuff is pretty good.

LTx with a cam and headers will definitely smoke an L98 with just cam, headers, and stock intake.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:53 AM
Can86Z51
Instructor

Originally Posted by No Go
I've never heard that saying toward K+N's...

I don't believe it either...

The original poster doesn't make sense...1996 LT4-330 HP...1984 Crossfire was it 205HP?
Look, one of the very first things I did with my late-86, when I bought it new in May 86, was to install a K&N filter on it. Why? - because for many years I had been using K&N filters on all my hi-po motorcycles.and was impressed with them, including the filter aspect! Although my bikes were street driven mostly, I knew that K&N filters were used by many people on their off-road bikes, cars, and trucks. Everything I knew about them said A1, including their filtering aspect. Btw - I am still using that original K&H on my 86 Vette(with a couple of filter cleanings in between, of course). Mechanics who have looked at my engine over the years have commented on how clean the internals are. My 2 cents. Ciao.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:08 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by crzydrumer14
is it true that the later model c4s (1992 i think to 1996) are already tuned up pretty good where if you buy cold air, exhaust, chip it will not raise the hp and torque dramatically. If so if you put performance upgrades like such in an earlier model c4 will it be similiar or even greater in horsepower, etc.
Yes it is true that simple bolt ons don't help LT1 cars as much as L98 cars. The LT1 cars are pretty good as is. However some simple add ons do help ie. long tube headers and full roller rockers. You can spend less than $1000 on a L98 and get 30-40 CHP if you choose wisely and do some work yourself.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:26 PM
EvanD
Drifting

Received 245 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Strick
You won't see any change with new air cleaner designs or airfoils. The K&N air filter will give better flow but at the expense of less filtering capabilities. Hence , the saying, "K&N at the track and paper on the road"
Tom, a properly cleaned and oiled K&N will filter better than a stock paper element filter...
Old 10-24-2007, 12:43 PM
Can86Z51
Instructor

Originally Posted by EvanD
Tom, a properly cleaned and oiled K&N will filter better than a stock paper element filter...
Exactly! 30 years of personal and 'hands-on' experience on my Vette, and bikes, tell me I'm sticking with K&N. And yes, I will continue to use them with no hesitation!
Old 10-24-2007, 12:45 PM
GIJoe
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Can86Z51
Look, one of the very first things I did with my late-86, when I bought it new in May 86, was to install a K&N filter on it. Why? - because for many years I had been using K&N filters on all my hi-po motorcycles.and was impressed with them, including the filter aspect! Although my bikes were street driven mostly, I knew that K&N filters were used by many people on their off-road bikes, cars, and trucks. Everything I knew about them said A1, including their filtering aspect. Btw - I am still using that original K&H on my 86 Vette(with a couple of filter cleanings in between, of course). Mechanics who have looked at my engine over the years have commented on how clean the internals are. My 2 cents. Ciao.
*sigh* I need to post the offroad pics of K&N vs Paper filters again.

Lets just say, K&N saved our trucks engines from a LOT of dirt and mud intake where as our friends with a paper filter had some serious engine issues due to stuff getting past the paper filter.

The pic I am thinking of has one side of the filter totally caked with sludge and mud from a total engine submersion under water. The inside of the filter looks brand new clean with not a single spec of anything inside it.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:55 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

How did this morph into an air filter thread.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Can86Z51
Instructor

Originally Posted by BADDUCK
How did this morph into an air filter thread.
Yeah - Ain't it wierd & wunnerful!?
Old 10-24-2007, 02:57 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by crzydrumer14
If so if you put performance upgrades like such in an earlier model c4 will it be similiar or even greater in horsepower, etc.
I think if you put cold air, exhaust, and a chip on a Cross-Fire car, that will not make it similar or greater in horsepower to a stock LT4.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:02 PM
crzydrumer14
Racer

lt1?
Old 10-24-2007, 03:53 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Must be a Full Moon!
Old 10-24-2007, 04:39 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

i'm not sure if i wanna cry or just throw up
Old 10-24-2007, 04:52 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Hot Rod 90
i'm not sure if i wanna cry or just throw up
I would pay to see the throw up!

Get notified of new replies

To Performance comparison between earlier and later c4 corvette models

Old 10-24-2007, 06:22 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by EvanD
Hi Evan,
I ran a paper filter (AC Delco) when I first bought the Vette. I, too, thought the best air filter out there was a K&N. So, I installed a brand new K&N. After running it for a little over a year, I was removing the airfilter assembly to get at the throttle body. I was shocked at how dirty the throttle body was. Then I started to compare the paper filter and the K&N. I held them up to the sun and the K&N looked like a screen compared to the paper filter. Just my observation. Yes, the K&N will give less resistance to the flow of air, but at a cost. Sorry guys if I'm not part of the party line.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:32 PM
90Z51
Racer

I used to have a 90 6 speed coupe, and a 92 6 speed coupe, and my girlfriend has a 86 A4 coupe. Honestly there doesn't feel like a big performance difference between my 90 and her 86. The 92 felt like a different car though. I like the suspension on the 86 the most, as it's the stiffest, but the power of the LT1 is better than most modified L98s (seeing as most people just do headers/catback etc...) Of course, if you're going to start changing intake manifolds and all then all bets are off, but as far as mildly modified cars go, the LT1 cars have a big advantage.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:51 AM
Can86Z51
Instructor

Originally Posted by Strick
Hi Evan,
I ran a paper filter (AC Delco) when I first bought the Vette. I, too, thought the best air filter out there was a K&N. So, I installed a brand new K&N. After running it for a little over a year, I was removing the airfilter assembly to get at the throttle body. I was shocked at how dirty the throttle body was. Then I started to compare the paper filter and the K&N. I held them up to the sun and the K&N looked like a screen compared to the paper filter. Just my observation. Yes, the K&N will give less resistance to the flow of air, but at a cost. Sorry guys if I'm not part of the party line.
Not to beat this horse anymore, but the only time I have ever seen this type of thing happen - dirty T.Body/carb-while using a K&N, on either cars or bikes, is if there is a problem with the seal of the filter, so dirty air can 'by-pass' going thru the K&N, or any other filter. It is easy to happen, and not realize it is so. This is what 30+ years of using K&N's on both cars and bikes tells me! And no, I have no connection to K&N.

Quick Reply: Performance comparison between earlier and later c4 corvette models