C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

My LT4 is lacking performance... What do you sugg.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 12:09 PM
GenoLT4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My LT4 is lacking performance... What do you sugg.

Seems since I replaced the fuel pressure regulator (because it was leaking) with a TPIS adjustible regulator that I'm always adjusting it to keep it running strong. First after the install it ran great. Then a month or so I notice it doesn't pull as strong as it should. Found the pressure was high, adjusted it down to 47psi and it ran great again. A month or so goes by and it seems lacking power in the upper RPM range again. I adjust the pressure and it is good again.

Well the last time I had to adjust it I went by the instructions exactly by adjusting it to 47psi then driving it and increase it .5psi until I feel performance drop off. I've got it around 48psi right now and put a drop of thread lock on the screw thinking it was moving causing me to re-adjust it.

It now still isn't running as strong as it should be in the upper RPM (3k to redline). I changed the plugs, cleaned the K&N and pintle valve in the throtle body. Still no inprovment. It starts perfectly, idles perfectly and smooth, just doesn't pull to redline as it should.

Should I replace the pressure regulator with a stock one ? Should I replace the fuel filter ? Should I reset the ECM ?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !
Old 11-19-2001, 12:34 PM
C4 4Me
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Re: My LT4 is lacking performance... What do you sugg. (GenoLT4)

You shouldn't need a AFPR on a relatively stock car, I'd go back to stock. I've never seen these really help at all on a stock car. I have seen them hurt performance though.

Fuel filter can't hurt either.
Old 11-19-2001, 01:56 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: My LT4 is lacking performance... What do you sugg. (C4 4Me)

47-48 PSI seems to be quite high for a stock car, I would suggest setting it to 42-44 PSI. It should not make a huge performance differece, try replacing your fuel filter.

Mike
Old 11-19-2001, 02:10 PM
GenoLT4
Racer

Default Re: My LT4 is lacking performance... What do you sugg. (MVR 155)

The instructions with the regulator said "start at 47 psi, then go up .5 at a time until performance drops off ".

I'll change the fuel filter and try dropping the pressure. What about the air temp sensor ? It feels stronger when it is cold (under 170 deg.).
Old 11-19-2001, 02:43 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Seat of the pants testing is not reliable. Best to take it to chassis dyno and do the tuning.

Old 11-19-2001, 02:48 PM
Ed Ut
Burning Brakes

I agree with C4 4ME. I would go back to stock on the AFPR. You don't need it for your setup. You can see my minor mods; and my car runs super strong,
and it is super fast.
Old 11-19-2001, 03:22 PM
DougSilver
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: My LT4 is lacking performance... What do you sugg. (Ed Ut)

My impression is that merely replacing the stock fuel pressure regulator with an adjustable one should never have a negative effect--if you set it to the same pressure as the stock one was running then you essentially have the "stock" regulator. The instructions that came with my TPIS for my LT-1 said to start with the pressure at 39psi (stock was 46psi)! I have tried all sorts of adjustments--some higher than stock and some lower (I am currently running about 48psi). My understanding is that no matter where you set it, the computer eventually compensates--increasing the pressure will cause the computer to shorten the pulse while decreasing the pressure will cause the computer to lengthen the pulse. My impression is that a higher pressure/shorter pulse combination is preferable as the fuel is more atomized.

Any others have better or more accurate info compared with my crude understanding of how this works?
Old 11-19-2001, 03:25 PM
C4 4Me
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Re: My LT4 is lacking performance... What do you sugg. (DougSilver)

I wasn't sure so I didn't say initially but I do believe I have also heard the computer will eventually compensate anyways so you gain nothing by playing around.
Old 11-19-2001, 05:42 PM
Eric Fischer
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree with the others. Go back to the stock regulator. It works for me.
Old 11-21-2001, 08:48 PM
SteveElliott
Instructor

I expierenced a "changing" fuel pressure and determined I had a defective regulator. :cheers:
Old 11-22-2001, 11:59 AM
Alex D
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: My LT4 is lacking performance... What do you sugg. (SteveElliott)

I agree...I would get a new regualtor....however, if you change your fuel pressure, you PCM will change the injector cycle i.e. more pressure = shorter injector opening to achieve the correct fuel/air ratio as determined by the oxigen sensors...I really think adjusteable FP regulators are a waste of money on a stock car, especially an OBD II car (96 and later).

Get notified of new replies

To My LT4 is lacking performance... What do you sugg.

Quick Reply: My LT4 is lacking performance... What do you sugg.