C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

MAF keeps dying

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 11:54 AM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
It could be 24# or 25# that was the reason for the question mark. The the point of the post was that the OE injectors and the FMS injectors are flow rated at different pressures. Regardless of how they are rated, they flow differently. With the same ECM calibration (tune) and fuel pressure it will run richer with the 24# FMS injectors, and that may be the cause of wet spark plugs.

RACE ON!!!
They are F55E-A2D injectors. They were recommended by Howard at Injectors4U and all I asked for was a stock replacement. All I know is that they're 24 lb/hr and after looking them up they're for 95-98 Ford and Lincoln vehicles. I've seen other 24 lb Mustang ones that look just like my originals, also 24 lb Venom injectors look the same too.

EDIT: After speaking with Howard from Injectors4U, I swapped out the O-rings on the injectors he sent me with bigger ones and they no longer leak. Hurray!

Last edited by Demonic85; 11-30-2007 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:07 PM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Everything is put back together, put a known good MAF sensor ('85) on and started it up... and it died. Same thing will only stay running if I keep giving it gas. I need some help on fixing the module like as in a guide. I dont have the money to buy a new one.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:06 PM
Red85Toy
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to ask an onvious question, but have you checked the wires coming out of the relay on the firewall. The reason I ask is I went through 2 NAPA rebuilt MAF's and found the issue was a short in the connector wires coming from the relay plug due to the insulation shrinkage from the heat behind the motor after 23 years.
I cannot stress this venture took 3 weeks and alot of frusteration. I would check there if you have not already.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:52 PM
Demonic85
Team Owner

I dont see any broken wires or anything on the engine side. I pulled the ECM but I cant find the module. Someone said you had to pull the "breadbox". Mine doesnt come out, its glued in there.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:12 PM
mk842766
Pro

Originally Posted by Demonic85
I dont see any broken wires or anything on the engine side. I pulled the ECM but I cant find the module. Someone said you had to pull the "breadbox". Mine doesnt come out, its glued in there.
You'll find it behind the "Breadbox...it is bracketed to one of the supports....at least mine was.....if you find that the module is bad, let me know. I have the one I took out of my 85 stored somewhere in the garage..you can have it if you need it, as I won't need it any more....

Cheers,
Michael
Old 12-04-2007, 07:46 PM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mk842766
You'll find it behind the "Breadbox...it is bracketed to one of the supports....at least mine was.....if you find that the module is bad, let me know. I have the one I took out of my 85 stored somewhere in the garage..you can have it if you need it, as I won't need it any more....

Cheers,
Michael
Yes, i've taken the center dash trim and the passenger side fuse panel out. I can see the little silver box mounted behind the "breadbox" but how do you remove the breadbox?
Old 12-05-2007, 09:13 AM
mk842766
Pro

Yes, i've taken the center dash trim and the passenger side fuse panel out. I can see the little silver box mounted behind the "breadbox" but how do you remove the breadbox?
It's a pain in the ****!!! 4 nuts you have to remove, and they are a real pain....check the Tech Tips section, I think there is a tip there with pictures...once you get the "Breadbox" off, you might want to think about replacing it with a flat panel...sure looks a lot better. You can purchase a piece to replace the Breadbox, or you can make your own.

Cheers,
Michael
Old 12-05-2007, 09:48 AM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What Red85Toy said regarding wires......I have no idea how close an 85 is to an 87, but check the wires going into the fuel pump relay, pull it off the firewall and look at the back side...at least on an 87 the FSM states the MAF gets its power from the relay...and on my 87 the insulation on the wires going to the relay was shrunk back about 3/4 of an inch, bare wires were coming into contact with each other and you couldn't see them without pulling the relay from the wall. Worth a look. I don't want to quote the FSM...but if need be I can! at least on an 87.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rick lambert
What Red85Toy said regarding wires......I have no idea how close an 85 is to an 87, but check the wires going into the fuel pump relay, pull it off the firewall and look at the back side...at least on an 87 the FSM states the MAF gets its power from the relay...and on my 87 the insulation on the wires going to the relay was shrunk back about 3/4 of an inch, bare wires were coming into contact with each other and you couldn't see them without pulling the relay from the wall. Worth a look. I don't want to quote the FSM...but if need be I can! at least on an 87.
Hmm yes that is the setup on '86-'89. '85 has a module behind the dash that powers the MAF and controls burnoff. I've got no power going to the MAF and no breaks in the wires, no blown fuses, which must mean the module is toast or at least part of it. I got the dash apart, but i'm not sure how you take the module apart to inspect and replace the broken relays inside. Anyone know how to take it apart???

Old 12-06-2007, 06:38 PM
mk842766
Pro

Hmm yes that is the setup on '86-'89. '85 has a module behind the dash that powers the MAF and controls burnoff. I've got no power going to the MAF and no breaks in the wires, no blown fuses, which must mean the module is toast or at least part of it. I got the dash apart, but i'm not sure how you take the module apart to inspect and replace the broken relays inside. Anyone know how to take it apart???

My understanding is that the module is a "non-serviceable part"...replace only....

Cheers,
Michael
Old 12-07-2007, 10:05 AM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mk842766
My understanding is that the module is a "non-serviceable part"...replace only....

Cheers,
Michael
Replacing is not really an option as finding a new one is pretty much impossible and very expensive. Searching the internet I found 3, only one of which was new. My mom says a guy she works with wants to take a look at it, he builds circuit boards for a living. Now I understand why so many people switch the later ECM.

Quick Reply: MAF keeps dying