C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Powerdyne Supercharger Kit - L98

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 11:11 PM
bills1985corvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Powerdyne Supercharger Kit - L98

Has anyone had any experiance with the Powerdyne Complete Supercharger Kit (sold on ebay motors). I installed a supercharger kit on a 1991 Miata I had and it ran (and is still running) great after 65K miles. Considering one for my 1985 with 4+3.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:31 PM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Received 261 Likes on 217 Posts

Being a CF member may entitle you to a slightly better deal than the ebay offer.

Check out this recent thread from the parts/wanted section:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ight=powerdyne

If you run a search on powerdyne in tech/performance and in the FI/Nitrous section you will find some information regarding some recent powerdyne installations (including mine).
Old 11-25-2007, 12:02 AM
Bensons86
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts

Greg Pen was doing a bit of research on them at one point. Might shoot him a PM. I was also looking into it because the price it pretty good for what you get. I found a webpage that showed customer complaints for the unit. THey were extreme. There was probably 1 good report to 7 bad ones. Most of them were complaining about extremely poor customer service. But, that was back when a company was taking over power dyne and they were pretty much in turmoil. To me, thats no excuse for poor service, but still a fact none-the less. Oh, I should mention, it seemed that many of the head unit were breaking after 3 to 7k miles. Well, that's my two cents. Hope it helps.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:34 AM
GS4-LT1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just checked the web site (Powerdyne) and I didn't see an application for Corvettes, I saw the offer of the mounting kit on the forum for L-98's. I am sure LT-1's would be different all together. Is there a mounting kit for LT-1 Vettes?
Old 11-25-2007, 01:43 AM
Bensons86
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts

Supernatural-Performance has the l98 vette kit.

http://www.supernatural-performance....ger-p-603.html

But they have it on Ebay for $2500

Last edited by Bensons86; 11-25-2007 at 01:47 AM.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:59 PM
DerrickC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ad states through 91 L98 applications, is there a problem using a supercharger with a speed density L98 ? I know they are less forgiving for other significant mods, can the computer run air fuel corrections with the exisitng sensors?

D
Old 11-25-2007, 04:18 PM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Received 261 Likes on 217 Posts

In either case (MAF or SD), the extra fuel must be provided for either via ecm tuning along with appropriate choice of fuel injectors or an FMU.

An upgraded fuel pump will be also be required.

The preferred route would be ecm tuning and larger injectors since this method will be more precise than using an FMU to simply increase the fuel pressure. The spark advance requirements can also be addressed in the ecm tune without requiring a separate boost retard device.

Both MAF and SD can work with forced induction, but for these cars, SD would offer a few advantages over MAF:
  • Simplified installation. No need to package MAF in the inlet or discharge tubing
  • Reduced airflow restriction if no MAF. Shouldn't be much of a problem in a blow through set-up.
  • More precise tuning possible at the expected air flow rates after MAF flow limit of 255 gm/sec is exceeded.

Of course, a MAF car can also be tuned to run "MAfless" which overcomes a couple of the basic disadvantages of packaging a MAF, but this approach does not offer all of the tuning flexibility of SD.

In the future, I plan to experiment with a modern GM 3" digital MAF and MAF translator as used as an upgrade for Turbo Buicks. This will be done to take advantage of the improved packaging and greater flow measurement potential of the newer MAFs and to get around the current 255 gm/sec limitation.

Rescaling of the airflow in the ecm will also be necessary to take full advantage at the cost of reduced resolution.

Last edited by tequilaboy; 11-25-2007 at 06:17 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Powerdyne Supercharger Kit - L98

Quick Reply: Powerdyne Supercharger Kit - L98