C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Brake caliper bolt torque

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 11:48 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Default Brake caliper bolt torque

Item: bolt, rear caliper mounting bracket-to-hub carrier
Question: proper torque

The Helms manual has the incorrect torque listed in two places; pages 5B2-6 and 5B2-10. The torque is listed at 166ft/lbs, but this is for the FRONT bracket bolts...it even says for "front".

Since the front brake bolts are much larger than the rear, 166ft/lbs would not be appropriate for the rear. Anyone know what the correct torque value is for the REAR caliper bracket bolt???

Thanks.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:38 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Rear mounting bracket bolts are torqued to 70 ft-lbs. The Heelms manual should be divided into separate sections for front brakes and rear brakes. The rear brake section will have a table at the end that shows all of the torque specs. The caliper to bracket bolts have different values based on upper and lower bolts.

FWIW, I use Loctite Blue on all of the bolts. Use a wire wheel to remove the old threadlocker and chase the bolt holes. Then apply fresh Loctite.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:42 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

and I'm proud enough to say I followed the FSM and attempted to torque the rears to 166. Next day I was at the dealer buying bolts.
1 snapped completely in 2, and the other stretched.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake caliper bolt torque

Quick Reply: Brake caliper bolt torque