C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

TPI parts interchange/etc.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Johns87
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPI parts interchange/etc.

Question, Is the TPI unit that came on a 1987/1988 305 IROC Z camaro, the same as on a 1987 L98 Corvette?
I am getting a running TPI 305 out of a wrecked (low-mile) IROC for very little and really just want to know if the TPI parts are the same. I am planning on pulling my good running, #'s match engine and storing it for about twenty or so years and want to build a good 350 for driving now. I'm still considering a 350 or 383 but I do want to run TPI to keep it stock looking and have nice driveability.
Any and all assistance will be appreciated.
Thanks and You All Take Care, -John
Old 12-03-2007, 07:57 PM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

f-body egr system is totally different...throttlebody has an extra tapping... manifold/cyl head center bolt holes are angled...runners are not oem glass-beaded...305 injectors are lower flow
Old 12-03-2007, 08:04 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by redrose
f-body egr system is totally different...throttlebody has an extra tapping... manifold/cyl head center bolt holes are angled...runners are not oem glass-beaded...305 injectors are lower flow
All the above and the fuel lines are different.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Johns87
Racer

Thanks,
Based on the engine package I build, I might buy an aftermarket intake base. I will also, upgrade the injectors.
So, to keep my factory Vette motor complete, I will at least need a set of Vette fuel rails.
Any other particular parts I might need to locate? What I'm really shooting for here is to take out one assembled complete motor and install in it's place a complete motor (without any Pirating off the factory motor).
Thanks and Take Care, -John
Old 12-03-2007, 08:36 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Johns87
Question, Is the TPI unit that came on a 1987/1988 305 IROC Z camaro, the same as on a 1987 L98 Corvette?
I am getting a running TPI 305 out of a wrecked (low-mile) IROC for very little and really just want to know if the TPI parts are the same. -John

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/Streetstories/choosetpi1.htm

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/Streetstories/choosingtpi2.htm
Old 12-03-2007, 09:19 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Thank you I've been trying to find that link again!

Funny seeing them pulling a TPI from the junkyard. There are NONE in the junkyards down here.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:54 PM
Johns87
Racer

86PACER,
I appreciate the links!
I have done most of this reading prior to starting asking questions, though. This type data is VERY usefull and will be especially important when it is time to assemble the motor and install it! I appreciate the info.
I am kinda looking for similiar data about what is the Good, Bad, and Ugly about this type of of conversion. I need opinions about which parts are better for performance, etc.. I need to know what will work with factory and aftermarket parts.
This Post was really a search for information about what parts and aftermarket items would work together for a GOOD street engine...With ONE exception. I really need to know what factory Vette parts I need to put this thing together. Once again, without stealing anything off of My factory motor. I Really appreciate all the input.

Thanks and Take Care and Be Safe, -John
Old 12-03-2007, 11:04 PM
Johns87
Racer

CentralCoaster,
You can't find these in the junkyards down here much(without a ton of miles).
I am getting this one from a friend that bought the car from a 'dealer' auction of 'total-loss' accidents. This one happened to be a real low-mileage car and I offered to throw-in on the purchase price. My friend wanted to buy the car purely to use the suspension with four wheel disc brakes for a 'street-rod' project. Well, I didn't have to add to much(for the motor and tranny). The tranny sold and basically put Me as the owner of this engine for very close to nothing.
It's always a gamble but You can always buy wrecked cars for less than the parts they are made of! I will take the 305 long-block and sell/install it as a good used engine in a Silverado and come out ahead some. The TPI cost me something less than $0..

Old 12-04-2007, 01:29 AM
Johns87
Racer

I posted a reply in the thirdgen.org reply in ref. to the superram. That is what I am asking about. I want to know about ALL the factory/aftermarket parts that need to be upgraded for power etc..

Old 12-04-2007, 08:43 PM
Johns87
Racer

Well I got the motor home today. It is a late 86/ early 87 Iroc 305 TPI. It looks like most of the parts are the interchangeable with My Vette's parts.
This engine is a one-piece rear main seal with perimeter bolt pattern valve covers. This is not a roller-cam block but the TPI is very similiar to what came on My Vette.
If I build a 383 short block, What do you folks recomend for a Cam, Intake (TPI type) and Heads (reasonable Vortecs? or other reasonable).
Is the Super-ram available for Vortec heads?
Thanks All and Take Care and Be Safe, -John

Get notified of new replies

To TPI parts interchange/etc.

Quick Reply: TPI parts interchange/etc.