C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

what does the air pump do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 02:25 PM
lushdrunk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default what does the air pump do?

what does the air pump do? and what would happen if I removed it? also what is the black weight disk on the from of the water pump do?

thanks
Old 12-16-2007, 02:52 PM
radhunter
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The air pump and the "frisbee" do next to nothing. Take em both off and trash them. Removing the air pump will clean up your engine compartment. Removing the "frisbee" is reported to boost your hp a little.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:20 PM
Dale1990
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

In a properly functioning emissions system, the AIR pump supplies extra oxygen to the exhaust stream to improve the efficiency of the catalytic converter during different operating modes (warm-up, cruise, etc). Removing it will not harm the car or throw codes. It will also not give back a noticeable amount of power. Removing the pump, hoses and valves will clean up the engine bay nicely. It would be wise not to throw the parts away since more cities are requiring emissions equipment on the car to pass inspections (crummy practice IMHO).

The Frisbee is there as a vibration damper. Most people have removed it w/o incident but some have noticed increased vibration when the A/C engages - YMMV. Depending on your water pump and pulley, you may need to put washers on the bolts to make up for the missing material.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:26 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Mine doesn't do anything. It's resting in a box somewhere.....
Old 12-16-2007, 04:12 PM
evmlarry
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine likes to sit there and make an annoying noise.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:07 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Dale1990
In a properly functioning emissions system, the AIR pump supplies extra oxygen to the exhaust stream to improve the efficiency of the catalytic converter during different operating modes (warm-up, cruise, etc). Removing it will not harm the car or throw codes. It will also not give back a noticeable amount of power. Removing the pump, hoses and valves will clean up the engine bay nicely. It would be wise not to throw the parts away since more cities are requiring emissions equipment on the car to pass inspections (crummy practice IMHO).
For the most part, it's during start up.

As for the "crummy practice," it's all about how the EPA mandates inspections. It's not the cities making these decisions, it's states, after being told by the EPA they won't get highway funding unless their ground level emissions are lowered. The crummy practice, is, in my opinion, the unequal way these things are being enforced.

The Frisbee is there as a vibration damper. Most people have removed it w/o incident but some have noticed increased vibration when the A/C engages - YMMV. Depending on your water pump and pulley, you may need to put washers on the bolts to make up for the missing material.
It's part harmonic dampener, part belt retainer. GM had an issue with the belt bounding off, so they put the 5 lb chunk of iron on it. Smart... real smart... Most have found that removing it has no effect whatsoever on belt performance, but does free up a couple of hp on the engine.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:35 PM
lushdrunk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so removing the airpump will not give the 20hp promised by mid america. lol ? the car is a daily driver, would I be better off leaving the airpump and frisby?
Old 12-16-2007, 10:36 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

either way... there is benefit to leaving, but the airpump will die shortly... that's a given.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:15 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 527 Likes on 376 Posts

On my 87, I disconnected the pump valves which effectively prevented the pump from sending air through to the exhaust, and it therefore dumps the pumped air through a "muffler" assembly (before removing the whole unit), and took it through the Illinois smog emission test which at that time was a rolling dyno test, with a tail pipe sniffer. Passed with no issues whatsoever (just like it always had).

Plasticman

Get notified of new replies

To what does the air pump do?

Quick Reply: what does the air pump do?