C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Steering Rack Recommendation???

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 03:11 PM
Rich B.
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering Rack Recommendation???

My rack has been leaking a bunch; flushing reveals metal particles. I'll R&R the rack and pump.

I priced rebuilt racks at = Autozone - $137; NAPA - $203; ZIP - $259; TLD - $222. All exchange.

Only ZIP has AC Delco rebuilt racks. The others are all generic/no-brandname rebuilders. All special order. NAPA/Autozone are lifetime warranty.

My question, since Autozone is cheapest, is there anyone with recommendations for any of the others? Horror stories?

Thanks for your time! :D
Old 11-25-2001, 04:43 PM
ZAP
Pro

Default Re: Steering Rack Recommendation??? (Rich B.)

I would look localy for a rebuilder. I found a quik ratio for my 86 that way. cost was $130-140 range about 2 years ago.

My rack has been leaking a bunch; flushing reveals metal particles. I'll R&R the rack and pump.

I priced rebuilt racks at = Autozone - $137; NAPA - $203; ZIP - $259; TLD - $222. All exchange.

Only ZIP has AC Delco rebuilt racks. The others are all generic/no-brandname rebuilders. All special order. NAPA/Autozone are lifetime warranty.

My question, since Autozone is cheapest, is there anyone with recommendations for any of the others? Horror stories?

Thanks for your time! :D
:cheers:
Old 11-25-2001, 07:03 PM
J.H.
Advanced

I replaced the rack on my 85 in May of 2000 and so far all is well. I bought the rack from AutoZone. The only difference I see is that the turning distance is a bit wider than on the original unit. The car does not turn ar short as it did before. However, I replaced the rack on my Dodge Caravan back in 1999 with an AutoZone unit and now there is some play in the right inner tie rod. The Vette rack is fine, the Van rack has a little problem. It does have a lifetime warranty, but I don't feel like the hassle of removing it until I absolutely have to if it ever comes to that.
Old 11-26-2001, 11:13 AM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am coming up on this repair too, and I refuse to buy from Autozone. I will probably go with the GM Delco item from ZIP. :smash:

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Rack Recommendation???

Quick Reply: Steering Rack Recommendation???