C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

First mod, advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 04:32 PM
tapper
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First mod, advice please!

I´m planning to do some mod´s this winter. The car is stock except the K&N airfilter. I´ve been studying this forum for quite a while now, and you guys seem to know what you´re talking about. OK, this is it; the market for performance equipment is limited here in Sweden. I´d like to have a Power Effects exhaust system, and some headers to go with it. So far I haven´t found PE, but there is a TPIS supplier 40 miles from here. I must say that their prices kind of put a wet blanket on my mod plans. TPIS headers are 1500 dollars, Flowmaster Kat Back System is another 1500. They also recommend a prom change (900 dollars). From what I understood I would have to change that the next time when I do my future intake mod´s. Any ideas? :confused:
Old 11-25-2001, 04:39 PM
BiZ
Le Mans Master

Default Re: First mod, advice please! (tapper)

I am sure you can get the PROM done for a lot cheaper. Maybe not there in Sweden, but someone here might be able to do one up for ya and ship it out.

[Modified by BiZ, 3:40 PM 11/25/2001]
Old 11-25-2001, 06:48 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

For your first mods I suggest the "free"/low cost items to get you started. Use a scanner to check for knock counts and upgrade your ESC if required.

For exhaust I suggest porting your stock manifolds, have a local shop weld & mandrel bend a 2 1/2" front Y pipe, change to a 3-stage hi-flow cat, go with a custom 3" rear Y-pipe and muffler elims or FlowMasters. The total price should be less than your TPIS costs. Also, the TPIS custom FlowMaster cat-back requires some cutting and welding to get it to fit properly anyway.

You should also open up the intake to allow more air in: K&N, open lid, gutted MAF, ported plenum and runners, etc.

Also, 160 deg stat and fan sw. You can wire your aux fan sw to bring on the main fan too.

Upgrade your ignition and cut back the spark plug ground electrodes.

Instead of a chip go with an AFPR and FP gauge (ACCEL makes a nice one) to tune your fuel as you get more air flow. Our MAF motors realy don't need a chip change unless you go to a radical cam or push air flow above the MAF capability.

You've got mail on results of some mods to our motors.
Old 11-25-2001, 07:30 PM
Mace
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want to do the exhaust cheaply I have one for sale from an 85.(no precats and a test pipe). It would hook up to your exhaust mainfolds. The only thing I'm not sure of is the cost to ship that system to Sweden.
Mace
Old 11-26-2001, 01:15 AM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum. 900US dollars for a custom prom? That seems a bit too much. You can program a prom yourself with TunerCat software at http://www.tunercat.com/ their website contains various helpful links.
Also, contact Joe at http://www.powereffects.com he might be able to send you a system for less than what the price is in Sweden.
http://www.diy-efi.org/gmecm/papers/tunetip.html is also very helpful.

[Modified by GRX, 9:25 PM 11/25/2001]
Old 11-26-2001, 02:31 AM
ScottsLS3
Pro

I'd go with an exhaust system! :yesnod:
Old 11-26-2001, 07:04 AM
TexCorvette
Drifting

St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: First mod, advice please! (ScottsLT1)

If you go with a chip, go to http://www.fastchip.com Ed is great, and only works on GM cars. Its about $160 and the best available. Also does custom chips. Anyhow, you should be able to slip one of those through with out the darn tax police jacking you up :)

Old 11-26-2001, 05:32 PM
tapper
Advanced

Default Re: First mod, advice please! (GRX)

Thanx GRX.
I mailed PE about prices, I´ll see what gives. :D

Get notified of new replies

To First mod, advice please!

Quick Reply: First mod, advice please!