C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Who makes the best f/filter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 02:38 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Youd be surprised how much GM stuff is made in other countries, its almost all made oveseas now.

As one member here says, "All cars/parts are junk, you just gotta pick out which level of junk you are willing to live with".
Old 12-18-2007, 02:44 PM
black_771
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny, the oil filter failure has as much to do with how many of the filters are out there then anything. That said, several years ago, Fram had serious quality control issues. Related or not, I did have a Fram filter that would appear to spin on all the way, but it was actually a full 1/4 of an inch from being seated. I ended up putting a major oil streak in my driveway. Luckily I stopped because something just didn't sound right when I started the car.

I use factory filters if I can. Ac Delco for GM, Motorcraft for Ford and Mopar for Dodge. I know that Motorcraft are made my Purolator which I like very much. I think Mopar are made my Wix, but I actually have read that Mopar filters aren't good quality. Just like everyone said though, there are a ton of opinions.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:31 PM
85 500 horse
Melting Slicks

There still are a few companies that work strictly in the U.S. One such huge company is Edelbrock. I have NO problem buying their products, even though they may be a little more expensive, because I know they were produced in America, by Americans. Like I said in an earlier post, I DO NOT buy anything that has written on the bag or box, "Made in China." I will buy if it says made in Japan. At least they still take pride in the work that comes from that country.

For those of you that can remember this far back... When you were a kid and your mom or dad came home with a new U.S. made kitchen appliance or stereo piece, how long did it last? The answer is years and years. Now if you're lucky, you may get a year from the crap that comes from China.

Here's an example of the geniuses that make Chinese products. Not too long ago, someone brought me a new mixer (as a gift). I opened it and then read the instructions (good thing). It said in small letters, "DO NOT TOUCH PLUG. MADE WITH LEAD PAINT." Excuse me, but how the heck are you supposed to plug in the plug without touching it? Are the makers of Chinese products complete morons or are they purposely trying to kill us? I vote for both.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:40 PM
black_771
Racer

Not sure if you know this, but the person in charge of product safety in China was SEVERLY punished when the lead painted toy thing started. They sentenced him to death and he was executed that day.

I think China takes product safety seriously, it's just darn near impossible to control every little thing that is exported.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:44 PM
rube1975
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 85 500 horse
I DO NOT buy Chinese anything. All they sell is cheap crap. They're killing Americans with their non existent safety and testing procedures and all they're interested in is money. I'd rather spend a little more than feed China's economy.

Delco
Old 12-18-2007, 05:05 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by black_771
I think China takes making money seriously, it's just darn near expensive to control any little thing that is exported.
Fixed it for you.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:37 PM
Danspeed1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Fixed it for you.
Absolutely right!
Old 12-19-2007, 03:38 PM
Danspeed1
Drifting

Originally Posted by MMOCguy
I read an article a couple of years ago on oil filters. A test was made using many "Off the shelf" Filters purchased from different auto parts stores. They were cut open and the internals examined. since reading that article, I use nothing but NAPA Gold filters (Oil, Air and Fuel). A.C. Delco filters also rated well however, I quit using them when they stopped selling through the regular auto parts houses. Now I can only get them from a dealer for more money than they are worth. NAPA filters are WIX filters in NAPA boxes and WIX/NAPA were rated among the best filters. Standard FRAM filters were the worst of the bunch.

Norm.
Thats what I use in everything, don't know where its actually made but... no problems yet. After 3K miles my Syntec still looks clean - but gets changed anyway.

DG
Old 01-14-2008, 05:45 PM
jakers
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Default Purolator!!!

I know this is a Fuel filter thing but I had to celebrate this one boys!!!

Bought a Pure One filter from Advanced Auto for my 02 Yukon. I just opened the box and look at the label on the actal filter. MADE IN THE USA! I am now buying only Purolator! Granted it is a "premium filter" and costs $5.88 versus $2.59 but if I am changing my own oil then I am buying a little better stuff the keep my valuable (to me) machines running. Yes I will buy synthetic oil too!

Long live the USA!!!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 09:19 AM
black_771
Racer

I think thats a wise choice. Advanced Auto and Pep Boys are both across town for me, but if they were closer, I'd get the purolator. Motorcraft, last I heard was made my Purolator.

The Pure One looks good too and that always counts for something!
Old 01-15-2008, 09:23 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jakers
I know this is a Fuel filter thing but I had to celebrate this one boys!!!

Bought a Pure One filter from Advanced Auto for my 02 Yukon. I just opened the box and look at the label on the actal filter. MADE IN THE USA! I am now buying only Purolator! Granted it is a "premium filter" and costs $5.88 versus $2.59 but if I am changing my own oil then I am buying a little better stuff the keep my valuable (to me) machines running. Yes I will buy synthetic oil too!

Long live the USA!!!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 10:24 AM
NocarbutaVetteforme
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

I tend to buy WIX products whenever possible.

Now if every Gov't official and business felt as we do about bringing more business to the good ole USA, we wouldn't have the problems we do now. We wouldn't be losing jobs due to outsourcing and wouldn't have the terrible trade deficit that we do. IT makes my blood boil when I hear about how much money China is making off of us. I will not only bash China in this, but pretty much all of the Asian countries. Now we have Korea killing us with the Hyundaes and Kias, but soon they will be killing us with the small truck market. Then you have Japan, the most lethal of them all. Have you ever looked at the difference in allowances of cars that we can import versus their limits? Well I have and was thoroughly pissed off. What they couldn't do in WWII, they are doing in business. Look at the number of Corvettes that are imported over there. And before you say it is supply and demand, well the demand was such that they sold their entire yearly allotment of Corvettes in less than a month. Do we get to import more over? That would be a definite "NO"! Ever hear of a Japanese embargo? That is where they keep stuff (perishable foods) on the docks for a while longer than needed so that the food then becomes wilted. Ever see the products that were reverse engineered and then sold cheaper? Once the companies were out of business then they had no competition and could charge more. How many American TV manufacturers are there out there now? Do you know that they own the biggest movie production company, the largest bank, more businesses and land in Hawaii than Americans? Have you ever been to a Hawaii resort and realized that they have tours and briefings conducted in both Japanese as well as English? I am all of for friendship among countries but there comes a time when we quit selling out and stop the sale of controlling interests of American soil to foreigners. I say controlling interests because in these other countries, Mexico, Japan, etc., Americans cannot buy 100% of a property outright. If you don't believe me, try buying land in Cancun. How would you like to own a house in which you have to reapply every 50 years for ownership? Myself, I like knowing that is mine when it is paid off.

http://www.bajabound.com/realestate/...japroperty.php

Ok, I still buy WIX filters. They have a good track record literally since Nascar uses them. My Viper comes from the factory with WIX so that is good enough for me.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:46 PM
jakers
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by 85 500 horse
I DO NOT buy Chinese anything. All they sell is cheap crap. They're killing Americans with their non existent safety and testing procedures and all they're interested in is money. I'd rather spend a little more than feed China's economy.
I agree, F#%* China! I will wage a one man economic war with them. I pledge to stay the hell out of China-Mart, excuse me Walmart!
Old 02-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Bodycount
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to send out a quick note to everyone that via slickdeals.net, Amazon has Purolator PureOne filters on sale; 2 for $6.99. If you spend more than $25.00 you get free shipping.

http://slickdeals.net/?permadeal=115...ect_deal_11511

I'm not sure what filter # my '94 takes so let me know also I'll split the cost of 8 filters with anyone willing to do so.

Over & out.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:54 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo
I agree with Chinese crap, but where can we buy anything that is 100% American made anymore?
AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters are Made in the USA in partnership with Wix and Donaldson. Applicable part number for a C4 Corvette is EAO25.

As for fuel filters, AMSOIL carries WIX Filters. The fuel filter for a C4 should be 33481.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Last edited by C66 Racing; 02-02-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
I quit using FRAM filters after I saw those pictures. I used an AC Delco PF25 on my last oil change.

Quick Reply: Who makes the best f/filter?