C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

HELP...did i break something??? PART 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2001, 01:53 AM
SnakeCharmer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP...did i break something??? PART 2

If anyone remembers my situation it was back on NOV. 12th?!!! I have taken out 4 plugs, the first one( 3rd one back on drivers side) what completely back and wet!! NOt firing!!! the others are white and look great...i'm assuming the others are as well...i will take them out later!!I changed the plug with a new one and still the missing is there...why isn't this cylinder firing!??Any ideas or suggests? Could the MSD box be bad? anyway to check this?
Old 11-26-2001, 02:56 AM
HighHopes85
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: HELP...did i break something??? PART 2 (SnakeCharmer)

Here's a thought. Make good use of the HEI distributor. There are 8 plugs and 360 degrees you can tunr the distributor. The car doesn't car what position the cap is at. In other words, if you twist the distributor and cap 180 degrees but keep the plugwires where they are supposed to be (in other words, swap them all 4 terminals to the left), then it would still run correctly. 360/8=45 degrees. That means you can turn the cap 45 degrees CW and then move all your plug wires 1 spot CCW. Run the car and check to see if the same plug is fouled or if the plug that originally corresponded to that terminal is fouled.

If the explanation is bad, let me know. You kinda have to think about it for a while, and there may be some disbelievers out there, but this works. Just make sure your timing is correct. I have been driving with my Bat and Tach terminals on the cap facing the passenger side instead of the dirvers side for a couple of months now just because I never got around to changing it.

As for the MSD being at fault-doubt it. It doesn't care if it is fiuring the 1st cyl or thge 6th cyl. It just fires when the EST gets the pickup signal from the pickup coil. For the MSD to be bad, it would have to be dropping every 8th fire, which isn't that likely. -Matt-
Old 11-26-2001, 03:55 PM
SnakeCharmer
Racer

Default Re: HELP...did i break something??? PART 2 (HighHopes85)

That's an interesting twist on things, i never really thought of that before! I didn't know if that MSD box fires each cylinder individually or all of them, thanks for clarifying. The one main wire coming out the side(big and black,thick) seems to be loose, Is this suppose to wiggle around or be solid?? Also, the tensioner seems tight but i can see it moving about an inch when the car is idling! Is this bad, should that not move at all? I'm so sick abou this, now everytime i loook at the car it seems i find something little and wish that it was the problem! I hate too put the car away for the year like this, it's getting cold out now and i don't really wanna work on it anymore, but this is really bugging me! :U
Old 11-26-2001, 08:58 PM
mash557
Burning Brakes

One plug not firing, I would check the wire. Swap it with a known good one or check the resistance. That's where I'd look first.

Good Luck
Old 11-26-2001, 09:31 PM
plastic thunder
Safety Car

DON'T HAVE A CLUE :nonod: LOVE YOUR PAINT JOB :yesnod:
Old 11-27-2001, 03:12 AM
SnakeCharmer
Racer

Default Re: HELP...did i break something??? PART 2 (plastic thunder)

thanks for the compliment! i will try that with the wire...but i did see spark jumping off it when i had the car idling and it just laying there...so i don' tthink it is the wire!!

TTT
Old 11-27-2001, 11:29 AM
INTIMIDATOR ZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you don't want to hear this but, it could be valve sticking open :eek: I hope not but, that just happen to a friend of mine about a week ago :cry So he's taking the heads off... has a bend push rod and valve :mad Good Luck :cheers:

[Modified by Intimidator454, 10:30 AM 11/27/2001]

[Modified by Intimidator454, 10:31 AM 11/27/2001]
Old 11-27-2001, 11:54 AM
88L98
Drifting

Cruise-In II Veteran

sounds to me like there is something wrong with the spark plug wire if only one plug isnt firing. also could be the distributor cap has a defect. try changing your plug wires, distrib. cap, and rotor. they are all cheap to replace, and it will more than likely take care of your problem.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP...did i break something??? PART 2

Quick Reply: HELP...did i break something??? PART 2