C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Brake Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2001, 01:34 PM
Jim D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Fluid

How do you change the brake fluid in my 93 , don't know if it has ever been done and since I'm putting on new pads , might as well do this . Thanks Jim
Old 11-26-2001, 05:45 PM
ZylaRace
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Brake Fluid (Jim D)

Old brake fluid is dark in color. Once you see the new stuff, you will understand. Changing the fluid is known as bleeding your brakes. Unless you have some special tools, you will need another person to help. (SpeedBleeders makes this a one person operation.) You will need a quart of fluid, a wrench for you bleeder screw, and a length of hose that fits the bleeder screw nipple. The big deal here is not letting any air get into the system.
In a nut shell:
1. Put hose on nipple end.
2. Loosen bleeder screw.
3. Press and HOLD brake pedal to the floor.
4. Close bleeder screw. Lift brake pedal.
Repeat steps 2-4 on all four brakes until fluid is clean. Don't let the reservoir go empty.
Old 11-26-2001, 06:02 PM
John Row
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Brake Fluid (Jim D)

I'm far from an expert, but here's what I did this past weekend. I installed GS calipers, brackets, rotors and EBS Green Stuff pads all around as well as flushed the brake fluid.

After installing the calipers.

1) Sucked out old fluid down to the bottom of the reservoir, but not down to the master cylinder, and refilled with fluid (old stuff really looked old). I used a hand vacuum pump (about $18 from Harbor Freight). Becareful not to splash this brake fluid around.

2) Opened the compartment behind the drivers seat and pulled out the insulation to reveal the ABS stuff. On the side of the ABS block is the ABS bleed valve. Connected a plastic hose to the bleed valve, started engine and had wife slowly press break pedal, while slowly pressing pedal I opened the bleed valve slowly and closed it before she reached the bottom of the pedal stroke. I did this till fresh clean fluid was flushing through the clear tubing and there were no bubbles. About 7 to 10 strokes. Somewhere in there the "Service ABS" and "Service ASR" lights came on.

3) Refilled the resevoir then went to Right front wheel and went through the same procedure, refill, left front, refill, right rear, refill, left rear. Sequence may or may not be important, but this is the way I've done it in the past.

After all wheels were done, I shut off the engine. Topped off the fluid and started the car up again and tested the brake pedal pressure and travel myself (not that I don't trust my wife :) ). The "Service ABS & ASR" lights were off.

Since all four wheels were off, the bleeding portion only took about 30-40 minutes.

Finally, buttoned everything up and went for a test drive. At first back and forth in the driveway. Then shut down and inspected for leaks. Then went for a short drive and reinspect.

Cheers,

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Fluid

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid