C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Dead battery problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 03:37 PM
westcoaststeam
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead battery problems

Help: Have a 92 with the Lt 1 for about a month or so the ingition key does not turn all the way off and is just about impossble to get out.
My question is if this happens and the key is not turned off competley will this run down the battery. The only way to get the key out is to play with the steering wheel for a few minutes.

I plan on replacing the ign switch to see if this ends the problem of a dead battery twice in the last four days. Oh yeah it has a brand new interstate battery. Thanks ya all
Old 12-30-2007, 07:38 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I would think that when you have the ign sw turned over 95% of the way off that no, "on", contacts are making connection. Pull the negative battery cable and measure the leakage current after the courtesy lights time out. That will prove your ign sw is really off.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:42 PM
westcoaststeam
4th Gear

Originally Posted by jfb
I would think that when you have the ign sw turned over 95% of the way off that no, "on", contacts are making connection. Pull the negative battery cable and measure the leakage current after the courtesy lights time out. That will prove your ign sw is really off.
Thanks I will try that today. Really appreciate the help.

I have a son that lives just a little north of you in Middletown. Thanks againg wcs
Old 12-31-2007, 09:21 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

After the courtesy lights time out, you should not see more than .05 amps as leakage current.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:13 AM
supersmoothpunk
Advanced

my battery keeps going flat and i`ve only got about 0.05 amps with everything off, i thought it might be whats draining it but my battery must need replacing. i took it to a shop near me and they were going to test it but couldn`t because it was so flat???
this all started when the weather turned cold, does this have a tendency to kill batterys?
Old 01-02-2008, 11:22 AM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by supersmoothpunk
all started when the weather turned cold, does this have a tendency to kill batterys?
just went thru this with my snow plow...6'' new snow in driveway and dead battery, won't crank, just ''click''...bring batt indoors, reads 12.6v, let stand/warm for a couple hours, reinstall in plow and she cranks super...next snowfall, same sith...after third rep, replaced batt and no hassle since (first couple of times i hoped prob was just dirty/loose cable conns)

been abt 10 yrs, had a ''brand new'' interstate batt that would not hold charge, they replaced with no charge...wallie-world new batts fail routinely, they won't even ask when they see you carry one in.

Last edited by redrose; 01-02-2008 at 11:32 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Dead battery problems

Quick Reply: Dead battery problems