C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Flitz convertible window cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 10:00 AM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Flitz convertible window cleaner?

Has anyone used the Flitz metal cleaner to remove scratches from the plastic convertible top window? If so, did it work and are there any tips about its use?
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2008, 10:34 AM
C4DC
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I have used it on plastic headlight covers and aluminum and it works well. Just rub on, then buff off. Experiment with how much polish and rubbing and go from there. It would be pretty hard to mess up the plactic window by using it.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:41 AM
KeyWestJack
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you hand buff or use their orange ball (drill powered)?
Old 01-21-2008, 10:50 AM
evmlarry
Pro

I've successfully used Nuvite NuPower II from the Nuvite Chemical company on fogged/scratched plexi and clear Lexan. That's some really good stuff. Works great as a dry wash/wax also. I used that stuff when I worked at a flight museum during my college years.

Might be a bit pricey I suppose, but it's good. You definitely get what you pay for in quality.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by evmlarry
I've successfully used Nuvite NuPower II from the Nuvite Chemical company on fogged/scratched plexi and clear Lexan. That's some really good stuff. Works great as a dry wash/wax also. I used that stuff when I worked at a flight museum during my college years.

Might be a bit pricey I suppose, but it's good. You definitely get what you pay for in quality.
Nice P-51. Need any pilots?
Old 01-21-2008, 04:36 PM
rich653
Burning Brakes

I tried flitz and it took alot of the fine scratches and haze off, but the little pits you get on the plastic window just don't seem to go away. I also tried Novus vinyl window & plastic polishing kit from Eastwood and it helped a little more, but bottom line I don't think theres anything that will take all the marks out, but if you find something let me know.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:55 PM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rich653
I tried flitz and it took alot of the fine scratches and haze off, but the little pits you get on the plastic window just don't seem to go away. I also tried Novus vinyl window & plastic polishing kit from Eastwood and it helped a little more, but bottom line I don't think theres anything that will take all the marks out, but if you find something let me know.
My paint shop recently got some clear coat overspray on my rear window. I'm hoping that the Flitz compound will get it off without ruining a brand new and clear rear window.

What do you think? Should I try it? Any advice on using the flitz compound?
Old 01-21-2008, 05:36 PM
evmlarry
Pro

Originally Posted by Strick
Nice P-51. Need any pilots?
Oh I only wish it were mine. Unfortunately I think the museum is overloaded with pilots at the moment. Imagine that, right?
Old 01-21-2008, 06:30 PM
96 lt-4
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by pmihaltian
My paint shop recently got some clear coat overspray on my rear window. I'm hoping that the Flitz compound will get it off without ruining a brand new and clear rear window.

The paint shop would be fixing it or putting me a new window in.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:06 PM
rich653
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pmihaltian

I think I would be a little nervous about putting any compound on a brand new window, even the slightest abrasive will leave fine scratches that will be hard to get out. Eastwood has a product called Sprayway it's a glass cleaner that won't harm plastic and is suppose to take off fresh overspray, might be worth a shot. www.eastwood.com prod# 40150zt it's only $4.99.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:44 AM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rich653
I think I would be a little nervous about putting any compound on a brand new window, even the slightest abrasive will leave fine scratches that will be hard to get out. Eastwood has a product called Sprayway it's a glass cleaner that won't harm plastic and is suppose to take off fresh overspray, might be worth a shot. www.eastwood.com prod# 40150zt it's only $4.99.
Thanks
Old 01-22-2008, 04:49 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ecklers catalog advertised it as being able to restore the plastic window and remove yellowing. I tried it and it did nothing. As for just scratches, I don't know.

Get notified of new replies

To Flitz convertible window cleaner?

Quick Reply: Flitz convertible window cleaner?