C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Lights are intermittent - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 04:46 PM
k-d-williams
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lights are intermittent - Help!

I tried a search but did not find my problem. Lights on, my park lights will come on and go off at times while driving or sitting still. My head lights are uneffected. I can cycle the light switch but does not seem to have any effect on the problem. Has anyone had this problem before and can give me a few ideas or at least a direction to go. The car is an '87 coupe.

Thanks in advance, Doug
Old 01-21-2008, 07:15 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

What do the front parking and side marker lights do and what do the rear parking and side marker lights do? Front and rear get power from the headlight switch but front and rear have their own common ground for all lamps. When they don't light, thats when you should be measuring the voltage on the black ground wires from each lamp. You can stick a needle through the wire to make connection. You will measure 12v on black wires that are not grounded, but zero volts can occur if the brown power wire is not getting 12v, check for 12v too. You can also have a bad socket, but I would consider all sockets bad as unlikely. Parking lights on the front have one connector and parking lights in the rear have two connectors in the +12v line. Rear parking light grounds go to a common splice and then through one wire to a connector and then to ground. Front parking light grounds go to a splice and then to ground with no connector.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:10 PM
k-d-williams
Heel & Toe

I loose all lights; interior, front, side, rear and fog lights all at the same time. As I said, the head lights are the only lights uneffected.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:06 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The headlight switch is composed of 4 switch contacts. One, associated with internal and external lights gets power through the 10 amp tail fuse. Check the fuse and its fuse clips for bright clean contacts and normal tension on the fuse clips. When you have no lights, check for +12v on both fuse clips (fuse in place). If ok, then I would unplug the light switch and spray (lightly) some electrical contact cleaner on the light switch contacts and plug the light switch back in. If you still have trouble, replace the light switch.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:57 PM
k-d-williams
Heel & Toe

I cleaned the light switch with contact cleaner and also the fuse block. Seems to have helped, just drove 112 miles with lights on and no "flickering". The real test will be when I return home tonight at midnight. Thanks for the help/ideas!

Get notified of new replies

To Lights are intermittent - Help!

Quick Reply: Lights are intermittent - Help!