C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Would this vac line being disconnected cause Code 32?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2001, 02:30 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Would this vac line being disconnected cause Code 32?

I was trying to work my way through the service manual to determine if my EGR solenoid is bad (causing my code 32 after prolonged highway driving). The first step was to remove the connector to the solenoid. Well it's darn near impossible to get a hand in there so as I was trying to disconnect the thing I noticed that the vacuum line which goes up to the bottom of the TB and runs to a Y which also runs to the EGR solenoid was not connected to the TB. I'm not 100% sure if I just now knocked it off on account of the cramped quarters in there, or if I'd forgotton altogether to connect it when I had the TB off the car for a rebuild a few weeks ago. :eek: I don't remember hooking it up, but then my memory is lousy soooooo....

If I were to be driving around with that vac line off the TB, is it possible to get code 32 even though the EGR valve & solenoid are perfectly functional? :D Yes I'm blonde - so go easy on me. :bb
Old 12-02-2001, 03:51 PM
DOCTOR J
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Would this vac line being disconnected cause Code 32? (Juliet)

Answer is yes, it's possible.
Old 12-02-2001, 04:05 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

How about hook it up and see if it goes away? :D
Old 12-02-2001, 04:41 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: (scorp508)

How about hook it up and see if it goes away? :D
works for me... I really don't think its going to cause the car to blow up... :jester
Old 12-02-2001, 04:43 PM
Rich B.
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I'm blonde - so go easy on me. :bb
...???...

...My hair has turned gray...No wonder I can't remember what I had for dinner yesterday... :D
Old 12-02-2001, 05:30 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Well DOH. I'm blonde, but not THAT blonde. ;) Yes, I hooked it up. Thing is unless I go road test the beast for a long commute (no time for that) I won't know. This code 32 doesn't show up after a short trip down the street. I was debating whether or not to blow off the rest of the diagnostic procedure. It's been officially blown off with the hope that it was the unconnected vac line causing the 32. I really don't want to take the intake plenum off again to get at that solenoid. :eek: Why do today what I can put off till tomorrow? :seeya ~Juliet
Old 12-03-2001, 11:31 AM
dlmeyers
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,

Had this happen once. A hose from the solenoid going to the plenum connectors got disconnected. The symptoms are exactly as described. You drive about 4-10 minutes at highway speed and the SES light illuminates, stays on until another ignition cycle. Code 32 sets. Connected the vacuum hose, problem disappeared. Believe you are describing the connection toward the front of the plenum, somewhat underneath.

Hope you cure the problem. Hate those darn codes.

Keep the greasy side down.

dlmeyers 90 coupe zf6 3speed shocks
Old 12-03-2001, 12:06 PM
MDC9966
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

That lack of vacuum should cause a code 32. An easy check is the heat tube. Let the car warm up and check the tube for heat. It will be hot but only about as hot as the intake. Go drive the car around the block a couple of times. As soon as you get a chance pop the hood and check the tube again. Since hot exhaust is going through it now it will be extremely hot. I wouldn't suggest touching it but you should feel a noticable difference in the heat coming from the pipe.
A meat thermo might let you read the temp I don't know. It should be about 400 with the EGR open.
Old 12-03-2001, 12:38 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Would this vac line being disconnected cause Code 32? (Curtis629)

Well good news so far - the morning drive in went without any SES lights coming on. :) Let's hope it stays that way!!! THanks for all your help everyone. ~Juliet

[Modified by Juliet, 11:41 AM 12/3/2001]
Old 12-03-2001, 01:22 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Let's hope it stays that way!!!
Yes!!! Hey whats up with that red ribbon in your avatar? Second Place? First loser? :D ;)
Old 12-03-2001, 02:30 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Would this vac line being disconnected cause Code 32? (scorp508)

Hey whats up with that red ribbon in your avatar? Second Place? First loser? :D ;)
Second loser. :) Definately that. Hey, you guys, take some lessons from Scorp the sweet talker. :jester ...NOT!!! :rolleyes:

Actually it's my NCRS 2nd flight ribbon. A mental note to myself to correct all the incorrect things with the car. ;) Considering I bought the car not knowing much, took it for flight judging without really doing much other than sorta cleaning it and fixing some broken stuff - and breaking some fixed stuff (wipers) I was pleased with the outcome. The vast majority of the points I lost were due to "condition deductions" - as in the car wasn't yet restored. I've since worked on replating, refinishing, repainting and restoring everything possible to return it to showroom as delivered from the factory appearance (and I've got a bunch more work to do)!!!

When I get my car to Top Flight status I'll put the blue ribbon in the avatar. BTW, Top Flight is 94% +. Second flight is 85% - 93% correct. So that means that out of every bolt, finish, paint, date code, component, wire, hose, layout and anything else you can contort the body to see on a shark they only found (in my case) between 7 and 15% of the total 4500 starting points they could deduct for. :D The more highly optioned the car, the more chance to loose points. My '70 has every factory option available to the base engine car except shoulder belts and leather interior. So it's even tougher to get Top Flight with a car like that. :)

[Modified by Juliet, 1:37 PM 12/3/2001]
Old 12-03-2001, 02:35 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Would this vac line being disconnected cause Code 32? (scorp508)

Speaking of Avatar's.... Where'd yours go Scorp? And how did you manage to get to 115%? Gee, I thought you were something below 100 a few weeks ago. :lol: ~Juliet :seeya
Old 12-03-2001, 03:22 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Speaking of Avatar's.... Where'd yours go Scorp?
My custom one was lost when I chose the american flag. I've since turned it off.

And how did you manage to get to 115%? Gee, I thought you were something below 100 a few weeks ago.
I was at 75%. Dont' ask why I'm at 115 now. i'm not happy about it. Grrr.... :mad

Get notified of new replies

To Would this vac line being disconnected cause Code 32?

Quick Reply: Would this vac line being disconnected cause Code 32?