C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

fuel pressure question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 03:06 PM
Wheelman
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default fuel pressure question

i am currently trying to diagnose a problem im having with starting my car. It turns over fine, but wont start ( i can see the belt moving ) I bought a fuel pressure tester and hooked it up to the shrader valve and my fuel pressure went up to about 42 when in run and then gradually (very slowly but still noticeably) went down. Would this cause my car not to start ? Or do i have a spark problem? What is the next step in the diagnosis? :confused:

I really want my car fixed :sad:

thanks
Old 12-05-2001, 03:21 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: fuel pressure question (C4Fetish)

The fuel pump runs for 2seconds after you turn on the key. That should prime the fuel rail. The prime should hold for quite a while. If you can see the pressure drift slowly downward it means a pressure leak: injector, regualtor or pump check valve are some possible sources of a leak.

If you can smell fuel, hold the throttle full open for a minute and then crank the engine to clear the flodded condition.

If the fuel prime holds statically but drops when you crank the engine, check the oil pressure sw on the left rear of the engine.

To check for spark by connect a timing light onto a plug wire, hold the trigger as you crank the engine. If no flash check ignition.

Quick Reply: fuel pressure question