C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help on A/C Compressor Clutch Retaining Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 04:53 PM
TenSecondZ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on A/C Compressor Clutch Retaining Bolt

Crazy stuff - A 92 with the Denso 10PA20C compressor - I turn on my A/C,, hear this noise, like a falling part and no cold air - Open the hood to check and I see that the very front portion of the clutch is loose. It looks like the retaining bolt worked its way loose and allowed the front part of the clutch to work its way off.

I need to get a bolt to replace it - I tried ACE but when I took a closer look at the hub and clutch front plate, it seems as there is 2 different thread sizes that the bolt needs to work with.

Does anyone know where I could find a replacement bolt?? Anyone have an old junk compressor laying around that could donate a bolt??

I even found the spacer that gives the proper clearance - I just need the bolt to put this thing back together!

Thanks in advance!!
Old 03-01-2008, 05:59 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like you may need a whole new clutch assembly - there are three parts: The Outer Hub held on by the bolt; the Pulley, retained by a snapring; and the Coil, also retained by a snapring. If the Outer Hub was moving around, it usually destroys the Pulley, if not the Outer Hub - the faces of which have to be perfectly flat if you want it to engage correctly. New clutches (aftermarket) come with the snaprings, Pulley and Coil plus a shim kit. OEM only includes the Pulley and Coil - you have to order everything else separately, but you need that shim kit to set the airgap between the Outer Hub and the Pulley to .020 inch. Too wide and it'll make a banging noise when it engages. Too narrow and it'll wear out very quickly. I'd try NAPA or www.ackits.com for everything you need - Outer Hub and Clutch Kit plus the retaining bolt. Also, don't crank down on that retaining bolt when you reinstall it - spec is 10 ft/lb. Too tight and you'll ruin the shaft seal.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:30 PM
TenSecondZ
Advanced

Thanks Sun - I dont thing anything is damaged, it just looks as thou the bolt came undone.

Before I go changing a bunch of parts I would like to just replace the retaining bolt. The entire compressor and clutch were Brand New OEM parts 3 yrs ago.

I reinstalled the outer hub, including the shim and it looks very flush and the gap is uniform around the pulley.. So I think there is a good probability its an easy fix, just need the bolt.. I will double check the airgap.

So where can i get this bolt??

Last edited by TenSecondZ; 03-01-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:27 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

NAPA - if you're at one of the Warehouse Stores - always seems to have the oddball or low demand stuff (or at least a book they can look it up in to order you one).
Old 03-03-2008, 04:48 PM
TenSecondZ
Advanced

Update - Called numerous places today - seems like to one will sell me a bolt.

Finally got ahold of a great GM parts guy who told me the part # for the bolt was discontinued.

He was able to tell me the size - 6mm X 1 thread pitch X 16mm in length. Got everything put back together - works fine.

Last edited by TenSecondZ; 03-03-2008 at 09:05 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help on A/C Compressor Clutch Retaining Bolt

Quick Reply: Help on A/C Compressor Clutch Retaining Bolt