C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LT-1 Balancer & Plug Wires

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 12:44 PM
Glen Green 65
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LT-1 Balancer & Plug Wires

I know this may have been asked a million times but, I'm stumped.
I'm replacing my opti-spark on my 95. I'm having trouble getting the balancer off. The shop manual says raise the engine to get a balancer removal tool on, however, it also cautions against using the oil pan to raise the engine. I have always used the pan and a block of wood. The manual says that the oil pickup is close to the bottom of the pan and not to use the pan. What else is there other that an engine hoist?
Also how are the left side plug wires replaced. They pass between the power steering pipe and the block and it's so tight the boot comes off when remoing the old wires. The bracket for the pump has many bolts and supports attached, major work to move pump. I need help!
Old 04-14-2008, 01:01 PM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I did mine (on my '96) recently - I just used some PB Blaster on the balancer, removed the 3 bolts and then from behind the engine just put a 2x2 up against the balancer and tapped it with a hammer until it came loose (also rotated the engine a couple of times). I had wanted to take the balancer out and paint it, but it wouldn't clear the crank hub, so I just let it lay there - I didn't want to mess with jacking up the engine just to get the balancer all the way out. Here's a pic:

Old 04-14-2008, 01:06 PM
pianoguy
Safety Car

I neglected to mention, on the driver's side for the plug wires, just loosen the bolts holding the power steering pump on (you can rotate the pulley to get to them), and pull the pump forward slightly to get more clearance to run the wires.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:12 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

What you are reading in the shop manual is how to remove the balancer's hub. You only need to remove the balancer/dampner to change the opti.

"pianoguy's" method will work for the balancer.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:55 PM
skybolt31
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

I did the same as pianoguy, I was able to rotate the balancer on the hub and did my best to loosen it up that way first, but the hammer and 2x2 did the trick. I removed the power steering pump pulley and the tensioner assembly to give easier access to that area. The tensioner comes off with one bolt, so that is easy, but the PS pulley requires a puller/installer, they are $28 at autozone, less at harborfrieght. A friend of mine has one so, I had no excusses. Even with that, you will still need to loosen the bolts holding the PS pump in place to slide the wires in between.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by Glen Green 65
I know this may have been asked a million times but, I'm stumped.!
Yes it has try searching LT1 balancer and plug wires there are a lot of suggestions on it. Don't forget to use advanced search and check the archives box.

Last edited by Redeasysport; 04-14-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:43 PM
93Quasar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just pulled mine yesterday. Removed the pulley (not the hub) and was able to pull it right out from above. I removed the belt tensioner for wire access - 1 bolt holds it to the accessory bracket.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:48 PM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 93Quasar
Just pulled mine yesterday. Removed the pulley (not the hub) and was able to pull it right out from above. I removed the belt tensioner for wire access - 1 bolt holds it to the accessory bracket.
Yep, I removed the tensioner, too - it came out easy, and I wanted to kill somebody when I was trying to get it back in place - LMAO!

Get notified of new replies

To LT-1 Balancer & Plug Wires

Quick Reply: LT-1 Balancer & Plug Wires