C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

HELP!! Can't get DA** Intake Runners off

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Brett Richmond
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default HELP!! Can't get DA** Intake Runners off

I am trying to replace my injectors on my 89 and I have the fuel rail loose and the only thing holding me up is the runners. How many bolts hold the bottoms on as I only see 3 on each side and I have removed them already but they still will not come off, I took a hammer to the runner and dented one of them trying to make it come off. What am I missing because everything seems to be off already. Upper intake is already off just in case I left that part out. Off to have a beer and grab a Very Big HAMMER

Last edited by Brett Richmond; 04-29-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:34 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Stop destroying your runners!!!

Carefully look around each runner to find all the torx bolts. Note the RH runner has one bolt on the inside front, the LH runner has one bolt on the inside rear. To access the RH front inside bolt you will need to remove the EGR sol; to access the LH rear inside bolt you will need to remove the EGR tube or the dist.

Each runner has two bolts that are down between two runner tubes; the others are up high enough to be easily seen.
To remove the two lower bolts I have to pull out the injector wire harnesses.

Note, if you remove the RH runner and just loosen the LH runner you will be able to remove the fuel rail.

Accessing runner bolts is greatly facilitated by using a narrow-line torx bit.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:34 PM
staugur
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are at least one if not two that go from the inside outwards.Anyway leave your runners on.Just undo the cross pipes on the driver side fuel rail and split them and you can lift them out in two pieces.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:43 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 375 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by staugur
There are at least one if not two that go from the inside outwards.Anyway leave your runners on.Just undo the cross pipes on the driver side fuel rail and split them and you can lift them out in two pieces.
Recently changed my injectors and did not touch a single runner to base bolt.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:08 PM
staugur
Drifting

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Recently changed my injectors and did not touch a single runner to base bolt.
Are we the only two that know about this??
Old 04-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Originally Posted by staugur
Are we the only two that know about this??
There have been a bunch of threads on this method. IIRC Sam Lam made a nice write up of it a year or two ago.

I think it took me three hours to change the injectors start to finish. It's pretty easy.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Brett Richmond
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok I have a seperate fuel rail to go back in and I was looking at it, there is a bolt a each corner where the cross over tube goes, is these the ones I take out to get it into two pieces??
Old 04-29-2008, 06:27 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Yes. I had to take out the back two injectors on the passenger side as well but some people have reported they did not. When I reinstalled the rails with the shorter LT1 injectors everyone fit better.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:23 PM
staugur
Drifting

Originally Posted by Brett Richmond
Ok I have a seperate fuel rail to go back in and I was looking at it, there is a bolt a each corner where the cross over tube goes, is these the ones I take out to get it into two pieces??
OK.I'm from England so I'm having a problem understanding you.However,the fuel rails are held to the manifold with four (I think)10mm bolts.Take them out and you can move it(the whole fuel rail) around between the runners.Each crossover pipe is held into the fuel rail with a small bolt that holds a shaped clip that engages with a ring on the pipe.Remove both on the drivers side and pull the rails apart.Lift them out in two pieces.Anyone else want to take over?

Get notified of new replies

To HELP!! Can't get DA** Intake Runners off

Quick Reply: HELP!! Can't get DA** Intake Runners off