C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

CNC LT1 heads from CNC clynider heads of Florida?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 11:29 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by No Go
Don't know if he had a spec chamber size. Mine he angle milled back to OEM LT4 (55 cc) at my request (LT4 stage III).

I'm not happy with them...flow picked up much on intakes, but exhaust was barely increased...neither up to promised numbers.

That and the valve float issue...installed them on an otherwise no different shortblock with HOT cam...valve control was so bad that it wouldn't pull stock redline (stopped at 6100 rpm!) I added shims he supplied and gained only 100 rpm. I added beehive's and rev kit...~7000 rpm consistently now.
I had a valve spring issue, couple bent valves etc. He had Comp Cams 941 springs installed. They were VERY stiff single springs, w/dampers. Not good. Now they are Beehives, much better.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:39 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by steve40th
What happened with the seats? How did you find out?
I ran my car for several years with this problem. Just seemed to run dirty at idle. Then one day because of a mistake of mine I thought I had a bent valve. Put air in that cylinder and could hear hissing throught the intake. Took the head to a local machine shop, and to my surprise the valve seats were ground off center. Still had the other head on the car. Put air in a couple of cylinders and the same thing. The local machinist explained when installing new valve guides you need to realign the seats to the guides.

When I initally sent my heads to Pete I wanted my stock castings used. Well, about a week later he called and said my stocks heads were damaged sliipping from a fixture during the machining process. I have my doubts if this really happens. In the time in between I had installed one of his cams. About a day after the install I was looking at the cam card, and it was the wrong cam. A few years later I purchased another cam from Pete and when it arrived the lift he quoted with 1.6 rockers was really with 1.5 rockers, and I ended up with 605/622 lift.

I know his all sounds like I'm a glutton for punishment. But, for some reason I always had confidence in Pete. Finally, overall my car runs just as good or better than Pete had promised.

-Mike
Old 06-06-2008, 06:59 PM
0Speed Hound
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete was not the owner of CNC Cylinder Heads which is now out of business. He was simply the brains behind the operation if you will.

He can be contacted at www.Vmaxmotorsports.com . I'm not sure if he will tell you any more now than he would then, you'll just have to ask.

And yes, he very much believes in flow velocity over flow volume numbers. It's also not so much about a power number but the power band.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:05 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by STL94LT1
I ran my car for several years with this problem. Just seemed to run dirty at idle. Then one day because of a mistake of mine I thought I had a bent valve. Put air in that cylinder and could hear hissing throught the intake. Took the head to a local machine shop, and to my surprise the valve seats were ground off center. Still had the other head on the car. Put air in a couple of cylinders and the same thing. The local machinist explained when installing new valve guides you need to realign the seats to the guides.

When I initally sent my heads to Pete I wanted my stock castings used. Well, about a week later he called and said my stocks heads were damaged sliipping from a fixture during the machining process. I have my doubts if this really happens. In the time in between I had installed one of his cams. About a day after the install I was looking at the cam card, and it was the wrong cam. A few years later I purchased another cam from Pete and when it arrived the lift he quoted with 1.6 rockers was really with 1.5 rockers, and I ended up with 605/622 lift.

I know his all sounds like I'm a glutton for punishment. But, for some reason I always had confidence in Pete. Finally, overall my car runs just as good or better than Pete had promised.

-Mike
Mike, I had a few problems, mostly spring issues. When I bought my engine, I had a set of LT4 heads/manifold (ported and polished). I should have took them.
Oh well, I am sure if I need heads to compliment my 396 down the road, DART/AFR and a few others can accomadate.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:06 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Yes, Pete keeps it a secret, that's why no one has any numbers.

His heads must have been pretty good because even with a mild cam and no headers (stock manifolds), I made 352 rwhp and 336 rwtq. The cam was 214/224@050 dur 112LSA and .566" lift w/ 1.6 rockers--milder than the GM hot cam on overlap.

That said, he put some bad valve springs (Comp said not to use them with that much lift) in the heads that had no business being there and when I realized it and asked to switch (this was the day they were received here I think) he said "no".

The springs cracked 15k mi later.
Those were the CompCams 941 springs, as mine broke also.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:29 PM
No Go
Melting Slicks

I did not have any valve seat issues (I had them independently inspected)...but upon initial receipt, a close inspection revealed 4 springs not even seated in the lower spring cup...doubt it would have gone in to coil bind, but still...$2400 spent (with the intake).

Additionally, I was disappointed a flow sheet was not provided before and after. I knew this going into the purchase, but that would only reinforce the quality of one's work (or not). I flow tested them anyhow at my own expense (results on my home page).

I suppose a dead horse and all...I will be moving to a new set of heads eventually (my thirst is greater now )

Also, I had the work done several years ago when I was in the midwest...now rather funny as I'm like 45 minutes from their location in Florida (when they were in business). Small world...
Old 06-07-2008, 09:47 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by No Go
I did not have any valve seat issues (I had them independently inspected)...but upon initial receipt, a close inspection revealed 4 springs not even seated in the lower spring cup...doubt it would have gone in to coil bind, but still...$2400 spent (with the intake).

Additionally, I was disappointed a flow sheet was not provided before and after. I knew this going into the purchase, but that would only reinforce the quality of one's work (or not). I flow tested them anyhow at my own expense (results on my home page).

I suppose a dead horse and all...I will be moving to a new set of heads eventually (my thirst is greater now )

Also, I had the work done several years ago when I was in the midwest...now rather funny as I'm like 45 minutes from their location in Florida (when they were in business). Small world...
I guess we all learn throughout life, that is what experience does for you.
Its nice to know my 396 has allot more potential, and a good set of heads will provide that as mine are apparently not that good for a 396.
I wonder if I could throw some 1.7 Roller Rockers on the exhaust to help the bad exhaust flow of these heads?

Quick Reply: CNC LT1 heads from CNC clynider heads of Florida?