C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

sprag blower cog pulley pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 05:08 PM
makn u shiver
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default sprag blower cog pulley pics

Heres a few pics of a 40 tooth sprag pulley for a 30/35 mm wide belt i just made ,im almost finished the 32,34,36, pulley's then they all will be made on cnc machines .the sprag pulley i'm testing on a friends stang is still performing excellent..
Old 06-19-2008, 07:19 PM
FinnC4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice work!!
Old 06-19-2008, 10:24 PM
davekusa
Intermediate

Do you have a time frame for release or status?

Looks like a nice piece.

Last edited by davekusa; 06-19-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:57 PM
AKS Racing
Safety Car

Nice work on the sprag. Was this made by the same folks who did the original cog work for you?

When will you have the tests complete on your D1R? I am interested in the results.

Aaron
Old 06-20-2008, 01:11 AM
makn u shiver
Pro

Originally Posted by AKS Racing
Nice work on the sprag. Was this made by the same folks who did the original cog work for you?

When will you have the tests complete on your D1R? I am interested in the results.

Aaron
hi Aaron ,believe it or not I'm making these in my apartment on the balcony .I bought a nice small lathe and a small mill last year and i just get a idea and try to make it ,like now I'm making some billet gas pedal mounts for vettes like that one guy was making ,i don't know his name he passed away(r.i.p) ,he used nylon bushings to mount the pedal to the mount I'm using brass bushings for a nice tight fit.the guy who is going to copy these pulleys for me and put them in a cnc program has not even seen these yet .the sprag on the d1-r is working excellent ,no broken belts ,before we put the sprag i measured the play in the s/c gears with the belt on and pulley locked i took the volute off and measured the ''back lash'' with a dial gauge i measured it again just a few hours ago and its still the same ,I'm not sure if that even maters but i did it .I also just checked the sprag to see if there's any play or wear and its just as solid as the day i put it on ,I'm really impressed with how well it works. we are still testing i just want to make sure its the best piece i can make from the start ,so far it looks like im off to a great start.

Last edited by makn u shiver; 06-20-2008 at 01:18 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:27 AM
makn u shiver
Pro

Originally Posted by davekusa
Do you have a time frame for release or status?

Looks like a nice piece.
I'm thinking a few months ,i guess it takes some time to write the cnc program for this stuff .
Old 07-04-2008, 05:33 AM
makn u shiver
Pro

Just a update on testing of the 38 tooth pulley on the d1 mustang and it has performed excellent so far the car is a 88 347cui 5 speed mustang running a d1 oil feed procharger and since the install it has been driven almost every day and driven hard .The 38 tooth pulley you see here i am using just for bench testing .I rigged up a contraption that would hold the pulley around the out side or cog section and prevent it from turning and this way it would allow me to spin the sprag in freewheel mode.I spun it for over 24 hours at speeds from 1000 rpm to over 6000 rpm speeds where taken by a hand held tach and every few hours i would increase the rpm's till i got it to 6000 rpm and it spun at 6k rpms for over 10 hours.after that i tried to make the sprag clutch slip so i got a 7/8 keyed shaft ,same size as the s/c shaft and i secured it in a vice and i used a big strap wrench wraped around the pulley and i tried with all i had to make it slip or bind up but it never ,i was hanging off it (185lbs)with my feet off the ground and it wouldn't budge.I then took it apart and checked it out and it was mint actually the only part that took a beating and it shows was that poor die grinder that spun for 24+ hours it was burning hot ,i know its not some high tech testing but i couldn't think of any other way to do it.Now i have some sprags coming that are machined to the size i need for the 26-32 tooth pulleys then the vortech/paxton guys running cogs should be covered .so far i am very pleased at how well these sprag pulleys are working and i hoping to have a few done asap to let a few c/f members test them out.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:05 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

any productions updates?
Old 07-18-2008, 09:10 PM
SiveradoSS
7th Gear

Old 07-19-2008, 06:33 AM
makn u shiver
Pro

I am pushing everything through as fast as i can ,i want to get 3 sprags ready so i can get them tested by forum members ,ones a procharged c5 and the other on a vortech ,not sure what year .The first sprag that is the test sprag on the 88 stang with the d1 has been working great,we don't even pop the hood to check it out anymore .I'm also in the first stages to having a few sets of billet 300m steel rear axles or spindles what ever there called made and they are going to be hardened and properly heat treated ,the guy making them knows his stuff when it comes to making these super strong . now we are still waiting on the 31 spline broach so we can drill and respline the wheel bearings and make the new axles 31 spline..I am also making a few billet aluminum accelerator pedal mounts .Also got a few other ideas up my sleeve that should solve a lot of problems in a c4.I will keep you guys posted on the sprag pulleys ,it shouldn't be to much longer i hope..
Old 07-26-2008, 10:47 AM
SiveradoSS
7th Gear

Weekly bump.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:10 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

yup, keep them coming!
Old 07-27-2008, 04:04 AM
makn u shiver
Pro

its moving along as fast as i can push my machinist since all the work is done on the weekends in his spare time .the testing of the sprag on the 88 stang has gone great he ran a few 11.50's at 117-119 mph at the track ,not bad for a ford .the only thing he did was he bolted a set of m/t et drag radials just for the strip .I will keep you guys posted ..
Old 07-27-2008, 09:10 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

My setup could use one of these. Count me in too. I'm changing to cog setup this summer, but I am not narrowed to a certain belt width yet. (P1SC)

Last edited by ylose; 07-27-2008 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:41 AM
davekusa
Intermediate

bump for an update.

dyno wars on 9/20 and racing on 9/21.

really want to try it out
Old 08-09-2008, 03:13 AM
makn u shiver
Pro

Originally Posted by davekusa
bump for an update.

dyno wars on 9/20 and racing on 9/21.

really want to try it out
hi,we are so close to the end I'm fairly confident you can have one for the dyno war and racing .I cant remember what set up are you running and engine mods? for those wondering about the sprag pulley on the stang it has been flawless from day one ,it has officially passed the test in my opinion .
Old 08-09-2008, 09:06 AM
davekusa
Intermediate

vortech 50mm 30 tooth.
I will pm you my contact info.

Get notified of new replies

To sprag blower cog pulley pics

Old 08-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Gunsbee
5th Gear

I am very interested in getting one of these. I have a d1 on a mustang just like the test car. I am currently running a 12 rib setup with 17 lbs of boost and my belt started slipping the other day and finally broke. I would rather spend money on converting to this than $80 for a belt. I have zero clearance with the 12 rib setup and would like to go to something possibly a little thinner if possible. Did the mustang have a cog setup before the sprag pulley or did it have a ribbed belt? I would need to get the crank, supercharger, and idler pulley. The crank pulley is the one that worries me about being able to find because it runs the normal belt as well as the supercharger belt. I dont know where to get this part. Any help or suggestions on any of this would be a great help thanks.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:23 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm still interested too.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:41 AM
makn u shiver
Pro

Originally Posted by Gunsbee
I am very interested in getting one of these. I have a d1 on a mustang just like the test car. I am currently running a 12 rib setup with 17 lbs of boost and my belt started slipping the other day and finally broke. I would rather spend money on converting to this than $80 for a belt. I have zero clearance with the 12 rib setup and would like to go to something possibly a little thinner if possible. Did the mustang have a cog setup before the sprag pulley or did it have a ribbed belt? I would need to get the crank, supercharger, and idler pulley. The crank pulley is the one that worries me about being able to find because it runs the normal belt as well as the supercharger belt. I dont know where to get this part. Any help or suggestions on any of this would be a great help thanks.
sorry for the delayed response i just noticed this message today.the mustang was running a 12 rib before and he was slipping like crazy ,actually from the 12 rib pulley size's is the same size as the cog pulley's we put on and it was making 3-4 more psi easy with the cogs .the set up we put on the stang is a 30 mm wide belt w/8mm pitch,it has been going excellent .there is easily 12k kms on the set up and 2 days of test and tune at the track pulling mid 11 sec et's time after time ,it has not lost any boost and the sprag pulley is still tight and shows no wear what so ever and still the same cog belt.I am convinced one of the reasons this thing has worked so good is because of the mobile one synthetic grease,it is amazing stuff imo.the 30mm belt will fit with the stock normal belt that runs the alt,w/p,p/s ,etc no problem that's how we did it on the 88 and i can get you the pulley no problem .i will pm you some info

Quick Reply: sprag blower cog pulley pics