C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

HELP NEEDED: Who Makes These Wheels? What Are They Worth?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 11:47 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Default HELP NEEDED: Who Makes These Wheels? What Are They Worth?

I REALLY need some help here guys. A guy I know is offering to sell me a set of the wheels below. Problem is I can't tell the manufacturer. Hoping someone will take the time to help me out.

They are a ZR1 style wheel. He nor I can tell if they are good (i.e., expensive) or cheap knockoffs. Cast or forged? Manufacturer, etc.

I didn't weigh them but they are a light wheel.

They look just like the picture below which I grabbed from the Mid America Motorworks website.

Markings on the wheels:

FRONT

Scribed on the inside lip:
17x9.5 +54 2.788 5x4.75 05/14/02 2nd 1831

Cast/marked on the inside spokes:
Spoke 1: F.R. Made in USA
Spoke 2: 0502T917
Spoke 3: AO50702
Spoke 4: Max Wheel Load 1400 lbs
Spoke 5: 17x9.5J DOT-T

REAR

Scribed on the inside lip:
17x11 +50 2.788 5x4.75 01/03/03 3rd 2384

Cast/marked on the inside spokes:
Spoke 1: F.R.
Spoke 2: 17x11
Spoke 3: Made in USA
Spoke 4: 1202L741
Spoke 5: C121702

I have NO idea what they are worth.

I appreciate anyone taking the time to help me out.

Rick
Old 07-14-2008, 12:04 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Those are most likely true Grand sport Wheels and not knockoffs since Made in USA is stamped on it. The fact that they are a light weight wheel and have a load rating of 1400 lbs should prove, that the wheels are Forged just like the original factory Grand Sport and ZR1 wheels. Also, the recessed lug nut area on the 11 inch wheels should be a lot deeper than the front wheels which this area on the reproductions have the same depth.

Most Reproductions have CHINA stamped in them and are a lot heavier than the stock wheel.

Mid America's price of $619 a piece sounds right.

Last edited by GKK; 07-14-2008 at 12:25 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:42 AM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GKK
Also, the recessed lug nut area on the 11 inch wheels should be a lot deeper than the front wheels which this area on the reproductions have the same depth.
They don't any more but they used to make repros that had the recessed lug nut area. I have a set of them and a set of the newer style ones, both are not A Molds. (I wish...)

Last edited by USAsOnlyWay; 07-14-2008 at 09:23 PM. Reason: For wrongness
Old 07-14-2008, 07:50 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,270 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Originally Posted by GKK
Those are most likely true Grand sport Wheels and not knockoffs since Made in USA is stamped on it. The fact that they are a light weight wheel and have a load rating of 1400 lbs should prove, that the wheels are Forged just like the original factory Grand Sport and ZR1 wheels. Also, the recessed lug nut area on the 11 inch wheels should be a lot deeper than the front wheels which this area on the reproductions have the same depth.

Most Reproductions have CHINA stamped in them and are a lot heavier than the stock wheel.

Mid America's price of $619 a piece sounds right.
The wheels in question are for sure "NOT" genuine GM "GS" wheels. The GM wheels would have the GM casting information on the backside and there would be a "trademark" centered on the painted flange second window "counter clockwise" from valve stem! The MAM material might likely be, though it's a "buyer beware" deal! The image that they use is that of a "genuine" wheel, you can see the "trademark" that I mention when looking at the images in their catalog!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-14-2008 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:33 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks, for the correction WVZR-1.

Rikhek, The wheels your friend has still sounds like a quality wheel and is definately not a cheap knock off.

Last edited by GKK; 07-14-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:23 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

DING-DING-DING-DING We have a winner. WVZR-1 suggested Factory Reproduction in another thread. I just spoke to Factory Reproductions and he is correct, they are their wheels. The F.R. on the inside spokes is the tell.

Manufacture dates of 2002 and 2003 was when they were still making in the USA, now in China.

http://www.factoryreproductions.com/...rvette&wheel=1

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Rick

Last edited by rikhek; 07-14-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Chris Kennedy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
DING-DING-DING-DING We have a winner. WVZR-1 suggested Factory Reproduction in another thread. I just spoke to Factory Reproductions and he is correct, they are their wheels. The F.R. on the inside spokes is the tell.

Manufacture dates of 2002 and 2003 was when they were still making in the USA, now in China.

Sir, did you actually send a copy of the photo to Factory Reproductions, as well? The reason I ask is because the photo shows a narrow silver "lip". A lot of the reproduction wheels have a wider silver lip, and I have known instances where what MidAmerica shows and describes, and actually sends, are different. /s/ Chris Kennedy
Old 07-14-2008, 04:05 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,270 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Rick
One thing to consider!

Like Chris Kennedy mentioned, what you are looking at and what is available from them in todays market is likely two different products! The likely hood of you getting a "match" for a "single wheel" replacement will be "very slim" or "just not" a possibility! Good luck!
Old 07-14-2008, 04:19 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Chris Kennedy
Sir, did you actually send a copy of the photo to Factory Reproductions, as well? The reason I ask is because the photo shows a narrow silver "lip". A lot of the reproduction wheels have a wider silver lip, and I have known instances where what MidAmerica shows and describes, and actually sends, are different. /s/ Chris Kennedy
No photo sent. The wheels I'm looking at have the narrow polished lip as they used to make them. I believe they went wide when they started making in China.

Factory Reproductions confirmed they were their wheel based on the spoke castings. The F.R. is how they mark their wheels. I spoke to the owner. He said no bout adout it. He even let me know the 2nd and 3rd scribed on the lip stood for the shift which made them. He was running 3 shifts back then.

Rick

Get notified of new replies

To HELP NEEDED: Who Makes These Wheels? What Are They Worth?

Quick Reply: HELP NEEDED: Who Makes These Wheels? What Are They Worth?