C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

This is what the problem was...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 08:54 PM
Cutter_ace
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is what the problem was...

I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself in the FSM one day.

Some module 9 ASR/ABS codes, and some module A DERM codes, can be falsely tripped up by Electro-Magnetic Interference. Probably some mod 1 CCM codes, and mod 4 PCM codes too...

Yup - EMI - same as from a nuke, only a different wavelength or amplitude, or both. Vette electronics are affected by electromagnetic energy.

Of all the codes I had, only the faulty O2 was legitimate. It just happened to come up at about the same time as the others started appearing, and that's why I was hesitant to replace the O2, especially after physically inspectin' the circuit.

OH - the source of the EMI? A spark plug wire. Go back far enough in the original thread, and you'll see that one of my wires wouldn't snap onto the opti real tightly. It was even runnin' well, so I didn't suspect even THAT was a problem.

Some of the codes (CCM, ABS/ASR, DERM) stayed around after the wires got swapped (and the O2 code stayed with me too, until I replaced it out of frustration), because they don't erase just by unpluggin' the battery. I found out how to erase them with the DIC buttons one day, at the same time I read about PLUG WIRES WITH TOO MUCH RESISTANCE THAT EMIT EMI, and cause false codes.

VOILA' - they're gone, the O2 is replaced, and the tune is beautiful. At 53mph, it's doin' 32.1 mpg's in cruise.

Life is good!

Schrade
Old 09-29-2008, 06:35 PM
cwyates4
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice! glad to hear its all good now.

Is it my turn yet? No? darn!
Old 09-29-2008, 08:30 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by cwyates4
nice! glad to hear its all good now.

Is it my turn yet? No? darn!
What's wrong with yours?

-- Joe

Get notified of new replies

To This is what the problem was...

Quick Reply: This is what the problem was...