C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Crank position sensor location LT4

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 10:17 PM
Trebor
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 157 Posts

Default Crank position sensor location LT4

Hi Folks:

Car is a '96 LT4

I have a small oil leak from what I THINK is the CPS. I am trying to determine if that is what it is. It's just a small drop not bad but annoying. A few questions:

1. Is the CPS right below the opti and right underneath the metal high pressure line coming from the power steering resovoir?

2. If it is and I try to replace it, do I have to drain the crank case in order to replace it?

3. It looks hard to get at, I will have to remove one of the cross member from underneath in order to access it?

4. Anyone have a good picture of the CPS in place and out?

Any helpful hints appreciated

thanks much,

trebor
Old 10-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The CPS is on the bottom of the timing cover, on the left in this picture (below the green tape):

You don't have to drain the oil; the sensor goes into the timing cover, not the oil pan. I don't think you'll have to remove anything. It is pretty short and there should be enough space to come out.

Now, oil could also be coming out of the seal around the harmonic damper, or maybe even dripping off of the opti from the seal around it.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:00 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Originally Posted by Mojave
The CPS is on the bottom of the timing cover, on the left in this picture (below the green tape):

You don't have to drain the oil; the sensor goes into the timing cover, not the oil pan. I don't think you'll have to remove anything. It is pretty short and there should be enough space to come out.

Now, oil could also be coming out of the seal around the harmonic damper, or maybe even dripping off of the opti from the seal around it.
Occasionally it's the CPS. Typically it's one of the seals in the timing cover.

Easiest way to get to the CPS is to loosen the motor mount nuts that are on the motor mount studs (which in turn pass thru the diagonal frame bracing below the car) and jack the engine about an inch.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Trebor
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 157 Posts

Thanks alot for the replies and the picture. That helped a lot. I can see it. Standing on the passenger side looking down past the steering pump resevoir along the hard line from the resevoir I can see the CPS with a plug plugged into it. The drop of oil is on the head of a small bolt that I think attaches the CPS to the cover. If it is one of the other seals like from the harmonic damper has anyone had this fixed and know the cost of having it repaired?

trebor
Old 10-02-2008, 03:39 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Originally Posted by Trebor
Thanks alot for the replies and the picture. That helped a lot. I can see it. Standing on the passenger side looking down past the steering pump resevoir along the hard line from the resevoir I can see the CPS with a plug plugged into it. The drop of oil is on the head of a small bolt that I think attaches the CPS to the cover. If it is one of the other seals like from the harmonic damper has anyone had this fixed and know the cost of having it repaired?

trebor

Classic example of the crankshaft seal leaking. The oil runs down the timing cover and drips off the bolt you mention.

$5 seal
$30 coolant/distilled water
2-3 hours of labor

Get notified of new replies

To Crank position sensor location LT4

Quick Reply: Crank position sensor location LT4