C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1st trip to dyno--any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:07 PM
matts85vet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1st trip to dyno--any advice?

its a mustang dynamometer
they offer baseline test--3 runs
and baseline w/ wideband--whats this?

the shop does mostly imports

any advice is appreciated

matt
Old 11-05-2008, 10:33 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 233 Likes on 165 Posts

Wide band is an accurate O2 sensor. They record the O2 numbers on the sheet. If you can, datalog the dyno runs and take a fuel pressure guage and watch it during the runs.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:30 PM
blkzr1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default dyno runs

hi, i just got back from a dyno tune at Henderson Performance. before i went, i replaced the o2 sensors, knock sensors, did an oil change and fuel filter change, checked exhaust for any leaks, filled all fluids, checked u-joints and adjusted valves. also checked tire air pressures and replaced spark plugs. if you go fully prepared you will get a fairly true horse power and torque reading, go home much happier and not have to begin repairs and guess at the repaired problems output of your engine. hope that this will help. also, take a video recorder so you can enjoy the runs later.

Last edited by blkzr1; 11-05-2008 at 11:33 PM. Reason: add info
Old 11-06-2008, 08:09 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by matts85vet
its a mustang dynamometer
they offer baseline test--3 runs
and baseline w/ wideband--whats this?

the shop does mostly imports

any advice is appreciated

matt
If they mostly do imports I would pay attention to make sure they strap your car correctly. A mustang dyno reads slightly lower than a dynojet and you will get far more accurate air/fuel readings from the wideband. The wideband will be placed in your exhaust and it will tell you what your afr is like throughout the range. It's great to see the afr if you are trying to diagnose performance problems or a rich/lean condition.

My only advice is be prepared to expect the worst. Most people come out crying after they leave mustang dynos because they read lower (some of them I should mention) than traditional dynojets.

Get notified of new replies

To 1st trip to dyno--any advice?

Quick Reply: 1st trip to dyno--any advice?