C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

85 dr door lock

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 07:00 PM
SEAFOUR
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 dr door lock

NO VATS but 85 had anti theft system CORRECT? Got my car with no keys and a broken dr door handle Got ingition key car lites up but no crank It has a clutch so i thought clutch pedal had to be down to start. Clutch master cyl frozen ,took it out still no crank! No door key [jst ordered them] but tookoutbrokenandle there is a wire to the key cylinder IS THAT THE ANTI THEFT SYSTEM??? would that keep it from cranking??
Old 11-19-2008, 01:21 PM
bully-85
Heel & Toe

the wire on the door loack are connected to the 85 alarm sysytem and there is a starter disable on it if the system was tripped. a short cut method until you get your keys is to unloack both doors from the inside then remove the battery cable and it should reset the system. if your door lock swithches are not working do not lock the doors until you get them fixed. On most of the older cars i have worked on those swithes are broken and not working anyway.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:55 PM
rons85
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming that the door lock switches are Working, the alarm will Arm using the key to lock Either door (both doors must be closed), and the alarm will Disarm using the key again in Either door. Opening either door with the alarm Armed will trip it, engaging the starter interrupt relay and blowing the horns (if either of them works..).

I am not aware that the interior lock switches (manual sliders Or the console switch) will do Anything regarding arm or disarm of the alarm, and disconnecting the battery will NOT disarm it. Neither does the ignition switch..
Old 11-20-2008, 01:15 PM
bully-85
Heel & Toe

removing the battery cable might not work on all of them but it did on mine when my swithchs were bad. the first time i locked my doors the alarm set but it would not diarm with the key. I had to disconect my battery several times until i got those swithchs fixed. after disconnecting it disarmed every time. it might be worth a try just to figure out what is wrong.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:40 PM
SEAFOUR
Intermediate

Default ongoing puzzle

Installed door locks [no easy chore, hooking up the linkage wow!] still cant get my 85 to crank Checked fuse panel and i'm not getting power to/at the CRANK fuse ANY IDEAS! [ DONT have a FSM yet and the haynes manuel is no help ] Can someone post a pic of that circuit ? [1985] THANKS ,TOM
Old 12-03-2008, 08:12 PM
rons85
Burning Brakes

The crank fuse is powered From the starter interrupt relay (when you are actually cranking). It is powered at the same time as, and in parallel with the starter solenoid. All that is "downstream" of that crank fuse is the cold start injector, it doesn't protect anything else..

Working back "upstream" - The starter interrupt relay, in turn, gets It's power feed from the clutch safety switch (manual) or the gear selector switch (auto) and That (whichever one) is powered from the ignition switch in crank position. The ignition switch is powered thru fusible link A near the battery.

Ae you Sure that the theft deterrent controller isn't holding the starter interrupt relay open?

I don't have any easy way to scan in the schematic from the FSM, but I'll bet that there's one posted someplace - have you searched?

BTW - if you Jumper 12v power to the "upstream" side of that crank fuse you will in fact be powering the circuit Back to the starter interrupt relay and Also to the starter solenoid. That should make the starter spin The "downstream" side of that crank fuse just goes to the cold start injector anyhow - no harm there if it gets power for a couple of seconds...

Last edited by rons85; 12-03-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:15 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Providing no one has changed the door locks or the console lock, a competent locksmith can make a door key from the console lock. It will be one tumbler short but there are only 5 options on the last one. My locksmith knew how to add the tumblers up and narrow the choices. He got it on the third try. Cost me $30 for that key and a copy which I thought was money well spent to not have to take out the door cylinders.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:45 PM
SEAFOUR
Intermediate

First THANKS for your help RON So; If i jump the left side of the crank fuse [key on?] Will i bypass the interrupt stuff? and the car should crank/start? and no im not sure the TDC is working I found what i think is the TDC behind the info panel but that maybe is only the relay THANKS AGAIN,TOM Where is the theft deterrent CONTROLLER?

Last edited by SEAFOUR; 12-04-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:33 PM
Droshki
Pro

I dont want to get too far into this but I will mention that just because the clutch is depressed, doesnt mean anything. My clutch switch went bad (and when I saw where the heck it WAS!) I just bypassed it. Pretty easy to reach and do that and rule that part out as a possibility anyway.

just my $.02
Old 12-04-2008, 07:59 PM
rons85
Burning Brakes

With a test light, One side or the other (it's a purple wire, if you can get to the back side of the fuse block to see - comes from the interrupt relay) of the crank fuse Should get power whenever you turn the key to Crank, with the clutch pedal down. If that does not happen then something in the power path is not right - the ign switch, the pedal switch or the interrupt relay.

That Same side (purple) of the crank fuse also leads directly to the engage terminal of the starter solenoid. Jumping that to 12v power will kick the solenoid and spin the starter (that bypasses Everything, doesn't matter What you do with the key, or the clutch pedal, or Anything else), IF the starter is good. It's just like crawling under the car and running a jumper wire to the solenoid.

The theft deterrent controller itself lives up behind the right hand (passenger) side of the instrument panel. It's Supposed to be fastened to the front side of the plastic panel opposite the MAF control module (on the '85) If you can see the back side of the fuse box you Should also be able to see the controller. Easiest with the Dash pad removed. Everything else (the interrupt relay and the Horn relay, etc.) are behind the info panel in the center.

Short and sweet - jump power from the battery to both sides of the crank fuse socket. The Purple wire side should make the starter spin, if not then the starter (or the solenoid) is bad. That purple side Should light up a test light when you try to crank the thing with the igntion switch. If it Doesn't then the interrupt relay is not closed (meaning the Theft controller is holding it open), or is defective.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:07 PM
SEAFOUR
Intermediate

THANKS RON GOOD STUFF!! I think i understand what your saying! Its getting cold and the car stays out. Not much fun working in the cold , but i like that short and sweet part, will see what happens. I will keep you posted TOM

Get notified of new replies

To 85 dr door lock

Quick Reply: 85 dr door lock