C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

92 Vette BCM? Where to get on or fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 02:22 PM
upsetvette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Vette BCM? Where to get on or fix it?

Hello All,

I have a 92 Vette that one day just didnt start. Hell it didn't even crank. Well after working on it for some time I have come down to the BCM (Also called CCM or Body Control Module) isn't providing a ground to the starter relay. The dash won't light up no chime and so on. I have called my local GM parts place and they told me GM has it on a national back order. I spoke with a local vette shop and he told me he has had it on order for 1 year so far. Spoke with my local yard that i like and they can't even find one. Now what? I can't get the car to run with out it. I am totally stumped and don't know what to do or where to go. Any ideas or a place someone could point me to would help so much.

Thanks in advance
Bill
Old 01-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Advance can send it out to Cardone for repair.

http://www.cardone.com/English/Club/...cs/default.asp

Last edited by Redeasysport; 01-26-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:56 PM
upsetvette
Heel & Toe

what about a year range. Would a unit from a 96-95 vette work in my older car? I can find them but has a different # I am not worried about the pass key I'll figure that out. But will it work??

Bill
Old 01-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by upsetvette
what about a year range. Would a unit from a 96-95 vette work in my older car? I can find them but has a different # I am not worried about the pass key I'll figure that out. But will it work??

Bill
Nope won't work it has to be repaired.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:03 PM
James93LT1
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

There is a bunch on the "Bay" under Corvette BCM. Not sure what part number you need thou.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:48 PM
Randy93
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Send it to SIA electronics, they have a great rep and a 2 week turn around time.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:01 AM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When a new or Delco refurbished CCM is installed, the installer has about 100 miles to program it with the odometer reading, VIN #, and option content of the vehicle.
After 100 miles, you are locked out and can't program these parameters.
So, if you get a used one out of another vehicle, it will probably have the wrong odometer and VIN #, and most likely will not have the same option content.
The "option content" of the CCM is how the ECM and other computers know what options are on your car so they know how to communicate with them.
As just one example, the CCM (the master computer) knows if your vehicle has the C68 climate control option and knows how to interface with it.
If you get a used CCM out of a car that did not have the C68 Climate Control, that option will not be shown as installed on your car even if it is there.

Tom Piper
Old 01-27-2009, 08:34 AM
upsetvette
Heel & Toe

Tom, Yes I read that in the data system I use. I was worried that even if I did get one beyond the mileage I would not be able to get all the other options to work correctly. I have 66K on it now and would really suck if I ended up with a computer saying 100+K.

Randy, do you have contact info for SIA? I would prefer to repair my orginal one and not have to worry about key codes, options and all that good stuff.

Thanks
Bill
Old 01-27-2009, 08:42 AM
upsetvette
Heel & Toe

Advance as in Advance autoparts?
Old 01-27-2009, 08:51 AM
upsetvette
Heel & Toe

I found SIA
http://www.siaelec.com/index.asp

Have to give them some time to open. Will post results.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:01 AM
upsetvette
Heel & Toe

So just one other Q. Is this a comon prob or do I have a deeper problem that I should look for. I tested the harness and no short to ground. I just don't want to get the unit repaired and then burn that one out. Do they just go bad or did something else cause this? Just from your experance.

A bit of background. A year ago I did every seal in the car except the head gaskets. (Ya Joy! ) and I just replaced the ign system other then the coil. MSD cap and rotor. Delco Dist. new OE wires and delco plugs. Car is totally stock. Had it running with no prob for about 2 weeks before it happened.

Bill
Old 01-27-2009, 05:51 PM
josephf31
Pro

Default I would

Originally Posted by upsetvette
Hello All,

I have a 92 Vette that one day just didnt start. Hell it didn't even crank. Well after working on it for some time I have come down to the BCM (Also called CCM or Body Control Module) isn't providing a ground to the starter relay. The dash won't light up no chime and so on. I have called my local GM parts place and they told me GM has it on a national back order. I spoke with a local vette shop and he told me he has had it on order for 1 year so far. Spoke with my local yard that i like and they can't even find one. Now what? I can't get the car to run with out it. I am totally stumped and don't know what to do or where to go. Any ideas or a place someone could point me to would help so much.

Thanks in advance
Bill
try www.vette2vette.com for a used one, very good inventory, pricing and customer service. Good luck getting that sucker replaced, it's a bear of a job!

Joe
Old 01-27-2009, 06:36 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by josephf31
try www.vette2vette.com for a used one, very good inventory, pricing and customer service. Good luck getting that sucker replaced, it's a bear of a job!

Joe
As mentioned above, a used BCM from another car may not be a good solution. The VIN and mileage will be wrong and some of the options on the owner's car may not work properly when a BCM from another car is simply installed in the car.

A BCM from a donor car can be sent out for refurbishing, but the data for the original car still has to be programmed into it. That takes a GM Tech-1 scan tool to do the programming.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:09 PM
josephf31
Pro

Default It's still the

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
As mentioned above, a used BCM from another car may not be a good solution. The VIN and mileage will be wrong and some of the options on the owner's car may not work properly when a BCM from another car is simply installed in the car.

A BCM from a donor car can be sent out for refurbishing, but the data for the original car still has to be programmed into it. That takes a GM Tech-1 scan tool to do the programming.
cheapest/easiest route if the old one is bad there aren't many options.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:39 PM
upsetvette
Heel & Toe

Default Update

Ahhh....

Well I sent it out to a place we use for BMW and MBZ rebuild work we do and they don't repair the unit them self but sent it to a place in PA. (BTW SIA said they don't do BCM/CCM repair, bummer) they sent it to this place. $475 with shipping and all that. come back and I install with dash pad and frame still off to check operation. Now the dash works but I am having a security problems. They want $319 for this used unit that doesn't work and they do not know the key code. All in all sending it back for refund.

So I called Vette2vette and spoke with Jason. Very helpfull and I am sending it to them to see if they can repair it. ( I got my orginal unit back today) $350. + shipping for rebuild. Fair price and I feel much better after speaking with him. (thanx for the tip!! ) they are a bit backed up. So a 2 week wait but thats fine.

I'll let ya know.
Thanks for the help
Bill
Old 06-14-2010, 02:15 PM
upsetvette
Heel & Toe

Just to finish this post for the searches.

I ended up buying a used BMC/CCM since my was not able to be repaired. The yard sent a key with it so I knew what the correct resistance for the keys were. I then had 2 keys made. I got a unit with 176K on it so when installed this was the OD reading and I had 69K at the time. I could have filled out a OD statement with the state and put a sticker in the door OR do what I did get clubed like a baby seal for a the OD to be set to the correct mileage. I did that and all was well. I did how ever wait a long time till I could find a unit with the EXACT set of numbers since I was in fear some options wouldn't work. I guess I got lucky and all works well.

Thanks again
Bill
Old 06-14-2010, 05:11 PM
0KEN W ANDERSON
Former Vendor

We at GMAUTOCOMPUTERS. com can repair your unit in 1 week and it will be programmed with correct mileage for a lot less than the above prices and it has a 1 year warranty. 770-777-1031 EST

Get notified of new replies

To 92 Vette BCM? Where to get on or fix it?

Quick Reply: 92 Vette BCM? Where to get on or fix it?