C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

3.73 Dana 44 install help

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:37 AM
sebaj
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3.73 Dana 44 install help

So, I live on the other side of the planet(it takes quite long, and a big amount of money to get things here), and two days ago I received my new 3.73 ring and pinion set. On the left side you see the old pinion, on the right side the new one. My mechanic tells me, that the new one can not be installed, becuase the Dana 44 aluminum case won't take the pressure of it. (It does not use the shims)
http://www.imagebam.com/image/ae1aad26484370
I've ordered and got this one:
http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDet...px?ProdID=3498
Did I order the wrong part or what happened? Is there any way to install it?
Old 02-12-2009, 12:03 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

I can't tell much from your pics. Does the new gearset use a crush sleeve instead of shims? If so, it can still be used. My 4.10 gearset used a crush sleeve without a problem.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Jagdpanzer
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

The Yukon pinion you have is designed to use a crush sleeve for settng the bearing preload.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:06 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,271 Likes on 2,032 Posts

Default Install package

You should be fine! The crush-sleeve is often used for the install. Not the prefered maybe but it's what the "lesser vendors" supply. Tooling is much less expensive. You can get a good build with the "crush-sleeve".

What I've done for a couple others in a similar situation is sent them a second or even a third sleeve if they're not familiar with the set-up so they can "get the feel"! The e-tailer's and some others "just don't think" about what they're doing or what "you've got to accomplish"! You will be fine and in your install package (I assume you've gotten one) should be a sleeve maybe 70mm long.

I'd start with checking the pinion bearing surface diameters to make sure of your "gear kit"! Post the part #'s of all the bearings and seals that were in the install kit to "confirm fit". You should have in the kit six bearings, three seals and several shims of three diameters. With the "crush-sleeve" you'll have no use for the "smallest diameter" set. If your set only has four bearings and you're in "no rush" this would be the time to do the bearings and seals for the "short axles"!!

If you're not rushed you could have someone send you a couple spare "crush-sleeves" to "get the feel"!! The factory service manual will be of little use for the install. Ask the installer if he's familiar with differential set-ups requiring a "sleeve" and if he is mention most of us feel you'll be fine. A "crush-sleeve" is a "one-time" use device!

Search the Internet for "ring and pinion install with crush sleeve" and see what surfaces for instructions and tutorials. I know of no particular one that is better than others, just look at several. If I have a chance I'll try to find maybe a good one and PM you a link.

Patience! Being that far from the parts vendors certainly must be tough!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 02-12-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:58 AM
sebaj
Instructor

Thank you for your efforts! We checked the install package, and I got the wrong one. I got these:
http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDet...px?ProdID=3517
instead of these:
http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDet...px?ProdID=3518
so I have to talk to the Vendor to send me the correct one(this will take another 2 weeks ). I will ask, if the crush sleeve is in the package. I already ordered and got the bearings and seals for the "short axles", they are fine. We have some experience with crush sleeves, but there are quite few Corvettes here, and the only one "experienced" mechanic told us, that to use them with Dana 44 is too dangerous, and can cause severe damage to the case. I was worried, but now I'm not worried anymore. Thanks again! I hope this and some other changes will take me to the 12 second league. ( 13,1@108 at the moment ).
Old 02-13-2009, 07:22 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Have them include for you two more crush-sleeves! For the aggravation they should supply them "no charge". You need to have them confirm before shipping the part #'s of the bearings in the package they're sending you!
Old 02-13-2009, 08:22 AM
sebaj
Instructor

I'll try to do so, hope they will be ready to do that for me.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:27 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

My experience with crush sleeves on 10 bolts is the pinion nut can losen up, which rattles the pinion around destroying the gears and case. I've had it happen, known other guys racing who had it happen.

I always used shims, and used no mercy when tightening the pinion nut.

For the amount of money a D44 costs, and the parts associated do it right.

-- Joe
Old 02-13-2009, 10:11 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Joe,

I kind of understand where you're coming from but he's "half way around the world"! Assembled correctly with the pinion load set correctly/appropriately and the pinion nut "loctited-red" there's no reason that it can't be very serviceable. If the rear is "beat-on" or used in a "severe-duty" service with regularity it's wise to confirm the "pinion load" with regular services (every few oil changes). Replace the sleeve periodically if you must. Maintenance, it's all about maintenance!

There's many a rear out there that relies on a "crush-sleeve" set-up and they perform reasonably well. If you've had a failures (note plural there) with a setup using a crush sleeve I'd question the set-up maybe. Pinion nuts aren't meant to be reused and need to be prevailing torque hardware.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:05 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Joe,

I kind of understand where you're coming from but he's "half way around the world"! Assembled correctly with the pinion load set correctly/appropriately and the pinion nut "loctited-red" there's no reason that it can't be very serviceable. If the rear is "beat-on" or used in a "severe-duty" service with regularity it's wise to confirm the "pinion load" with regular services (every few oil changes). Replace the sleeve periodically if you must. Maintenance, it's all about maintenance!

There's many a rear out there that relies on a "crush-sleeve" set-up and they perform reasonably well. If you've had a failures (note plural there) with a setup using a crush sleeve I'd question the set-up maybe. Pinion nuts aren't meant to be reused and need to be prevailing torque hardware.
I understand he is half way around the world.

I've had failures in 10 bolts with brand new setups using crush sleeves. You want to have xx inches of rotational drag on the pinion, which we set up dead on to spec. The crush collar crushes down, then the vehicle is returned to service. On 99.9% of OE cars this is fine. On a high output car, drag car, etc somehow the pinion becomes loose, either by the nut backing out or the collar somehow crushing further.

So now, I buy a $8 shim kit designed to replace the crush collar, I set the distance so the rotational drag is dead nuts and I torque the pinion nut to the spec of the fastener NOT the amount required to crush the collar. This has been bulletproof for me in 10 bolts.

Dana 36/44 is like this from the factory...

-- Joe
Old 02-13-2009, 04:10 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by anesthes
Dana 36/44 is like this from the factory...

-- Joe
Not all!!!!!! Late Vettes and Vipers use a "collapsible spacer" that's something near 16mm or so thick for pinion preload. I use a less expensive Nissan "replacement" for the later gear kits if it's maybe not in the box with the gear kit from Dana! It's likely not as susceptible to failure as the 70mm piece but it is none the less "collapsible"!!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 02-13-2009 at 04:14 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 3.73 Dana 44 install help

Quick Reply: 3.73 Dana 44 install help