C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Power Effects exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 12:01 PM
gene284
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Power Effects exhaust

I picked up today a used "Power Effects" exhaust. It has the adjustable for sound cast aluminum resonators as well as the cast dual exhaust tips.

This was formerly on a ZR1.

Just wondering if you are pleased with the sound. I needed something adjustable both for quiet and loud.

Also how do these hold up long term? I looked inside and there are some steel components.

Any heads up on these or suggestions before they are installed?

Thanks for responding.
The following users liked this post:
89corvettemann (10-18-2022)
Old 02-15-2009, 01:36 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

The cast "capsules" are the mufflers and the resonator if there was one on the system you bought would have had dual inlet/outlet and mounted in the similar location of all LTx C4 systems.

These are for the "project" Avanti? I checked out your "slideshow" and not realizing that the rear is a "Viper" at first glance my first thoughts were the D44 was "inverted" in it's mounting. That creates "catastrophic" results! Multiple "rear speeds" and a single "forward speed"!

You'll I believe be quite happy with the PE System. Most with the system are quite happy! The capsules appear to be quite durable but the balance of the system is NOT SS. They've not produced the PE system for many years because of "foundry issues" for the castings. I doubt they ever will. I had intended and still will likely have the pipes other than the capsules ceramic coated inside & out. The PE for my ZR-1 is still in the basement.

The "project" displays side mount exhaust but I'm guessing that if these are for the "project" the exit will be under body. The PE system was done in a "side mount" also.

If it's meant for a C4 install they still have the mid-pipes and the under axle pipes available. The resonator I don't believe they do any longer. They are good guys and Joe is interesting to speak to.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 02-15-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:09 PM
gene284
Burning Brakes

I looked for their Side Effects (side pipes), to see if if they incorporate the aluminum "capsules", and it appears they do not. Is that correct?

I had hoped to put the adjustable capsules ahead of the chambered side pipes on my project, but I'm not sure they will take the heat that far upstream.

The aluminum capsules seem fine, but I am concerned about the steel metal inside the capsules long term.

Did the "Power Effects" all come with nice cast dual exhaust tips, ie. 4 cast exits? Very nice.

I may have these exhaust in the rear and use the side pipes like "lake pipes" with a cover over the outlet at the front of the rear wheels.

Thanks for your input, I look forward to your response.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:12 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Three or four options for the cast tips but they all had the 4 outlet like you must have. With the four bolt flange though you could do with most anything you like for an "exit" appearance.

The "four outlet" tips were available in black "low gloss" finish 100%, black "low gloss" with the 1" band "polished", 100% polished and I believe I've seen a set of chrome and these were on a car that they (PE) used for a "fitment project"!

A location forward of the "side mount" might be like you mention "questionable"!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 02-15-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:12 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I have had them with the polished chrome tips for about 5 years, theres a slight rattle in one with the pipe closed but you couldnt hear it in the car. I'm happy with them.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:47 AM
gene284
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the information.

I've examined my side pipes, and I don't have room at the front to incorporate the "power capsules". Really wanted to make the side pipes tunable.

I positioned them at the rear, and they obscure the polished Viper rear end. I would have to make a new rear valence to work for the exhaust exit.

Will probably sell them rather than redo the exhaust now.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:53 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 936 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

If you do sell them I might be interested in the tunable mufflers.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:53 PM
BlackHarleyMan
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Three or four options for the cast tips but they all had the 4 outlet like you must have. With the four bolt flange though you could do with most anything you like for an "exit" appearance.

The "four outlet" tips were available in black "low gloss" finish 100%, black "low gloss" with the 1" band "polished", 100% polished and I believe I've seen a set of chrome and these were on a car that they (PE) used for a "fitment project"!

A location forward of the "side mount" might be like you mention "questionable"!
I have two sets, one of which is on my LT4 car. On that car I have the Chrome Tips and the other set that I have laying around is a set of Low Gloss Black tips! I find that there is less resonance on the highway with them closed, but I like the sound of them open!

Here's what they sound like open:

R/Noland
Old 03-19-2016, 03:39 PM
Jeffgett
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Power Effects adjustment instructions PDF

I have the Power Effects exhaust on my 1985 and was looking for any adjustment instructions that might be available..Thank you in advance for any info you share
Old 03-19-2016, 09:41 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Side Effects mufflers without the covers.

I am repairing the covers and having the tips re-chromed.
My kit has the resonators to quite them down.
Old 10-11-2022, 03:25 PM
mike148
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Power effects on 91 l98

Get notified of new replies

To Power Effects exhaust

Quick Reply: Power Effects exhaust