C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Why modify?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 11:51 AM
Justin1984
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why modify? (jmr302)

Interesting question you've posted here.

I've noticed that some people, even folks I would call "car guys", are totally against modifying cars.....
hmmmmm....that response is a little over the top, IMHO. I bought my Corvtte solely for the purpose of other people seeing me drive around in a Corvette. To me, Corvette has always been a status-type car, something that many dream about owning yet only a few actually do. Growing up I knew very few people who owned a Corvette and seeing one up close was always a sight. Over the years I became more interested in the Corvette more than that, but I still just have no interest in mods. When I go to car shows I always pass over the modded cars in favor of original examples. Again, not flaming anyone, just MHO :rolleyes:
Old 02-01-2002, 12:01 PM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Why modify? (Justin1984)

You may want to do more of the route I'm going. Don't modify, upgrade. As something goes wrong, upgrade it to a better system. I'm gonna do the brake upgrade next as they need to be done soon. Instead of paying $300 to get the same system done that has left me neededing more brake, I'm upgrading it to C5 specs. When I needed a new air filter, in went the K&N. Next is a tuneup and wires. Bigger wires and better plugs will go in. I'm gonna upgrade the lights as well. Since I am having minor trans problems, I am using this as the time to upgrade the exhaust and maybe the clutch. Pretty soon, you'll have a better more reliable car and a little more power. I don't plan on upgrading the internals of the motor until I break 100,000 miles and it needs a rebuild. Just a thought. But change the sterio. ;)

[Modified by 92TripleBlack, 11:03 AM 2/1/2002]
Old 02-01-2002, 12:44 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: Why modify? (92TripleBlack)

Mod the stereo system because that Bose system is crap. Oh it sounds okay for a factory system I guess, but there is so much better stuff out there now.....and they work better too. Unlike that CD player that rejects perfect CD's fresh from the wrapper. I like the idea of replacing speakers at will that only cost $100 a pair instead of $250 each.....
I did the brake thing myself. Didn't like the way the car stopped with the under engineered 12" system. Bigger bars for better cornering.....Different wheels for better looks....not all mods wear out parts.
Old 02-01-2002, 01:55 PM
rocketfinger
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my Corvtte solely for the purpose of other people seeing me drive around in a Corvette.
35mph in the right lane, I'm guessing.

Just yankin' your chain. :D
Old 02-01-2002, 02:02 PM
jmr302
Pro

Interesting question you've posted here.

I've noticed that some people, even folks I would call "car guys", are totally against modifying cars.....

hmmmmm....that response is a little over the top, IMHO. I bought my Corvtte solely for the purpose of other people seeing me drive around in a Corvette. To me, Corvette has always been a status-type car, something that many dream about owning yet only a few actually do. Growing up I knew very few people who owned a Corvette and seeing one up close was always a sight. Over the years I became more interested in the Corvette more than that, but I still just have no interest in mods. When I go to car shows I always pass over the modded cars in favor of original examples. Again, not flaming anyone, just MHO :rolleyes:
No flames felt, and none intended from me either. It sounds like you mainly bought your car for reasons other than driving it. I can understand that. I didn't really talk about that philosophy in my post. Those of use that are mostly concerned with performance shouldn't be afraid of mods though.

[Modified by jmr302, 12:02 PM 2/1/2002]
Old 02-01-2002, 02:05 PM
Red91C4
Instructor

. Sure every time you do anything you open yourself up to the potential to mess something up, but if done right it can be very reliable.

I agree, otherwise everytime a repair is made on a car you'd think it compromises reliabilty, and that's not true. However, I do have to say that cars are designed by educated proffesional engineers, and probably can't be out-engineered by the casual home-mechanic.

[Modified by Justin1984, 7:25 PM 1/31/2002]
Some of us here are highly edjumakated enjuneers an we still like messin with what our cohorts have wrought on the world.
"To mod or not to mod" a question that has no objective answers just like most other aspects of our lives. :crazy:
Old 02-01-2002, 02:21 PM
dtorc4
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Why modify? (Red91C4)

"To mod or not to mod" a question that has no objective answers just like most other aspects of our lives. :crazy:
I guess this should be added to the list of topics you never discuss at a party:

1) religion
2) politics
3) sex
4) car mods :D
Old 02-01-2002, 03:52 PM
Justin1984
Drifting

Some of us here are highly edjumakated enjuneers an we still like messin with what our cohorts have wrought on the world.
:
Operating a train for Amtrak doesn't mean you should be tearin' apart your cars engine :hat :jester

[Modified by Justin1984, 2:53 PM 2/1/2002]
Old 02-01-2002, 06:28 PM
KYVette90
Burning Brakes

I don't modify, I upgrade. :D
Old 02-01-2002, 06:30 PM
dtorc4
Le Mans Master

:

Operating a train for Amtrak doesn't mean you should be tearin' apart your cars engine :hat :jester
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 02-02-2002, 08:03 AM
The Dingo
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-‘17, '22

:lol: :lol:

:yesnod: We've all got our opinions on this but what we value in our cars comes down to personal preference. Your gut feeling will already be telling you whether you want to mod or not. It just comes down to what your priorities are.
Old 02-04-2002, 03:37 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Default Re: Why modify? (vetteman32)

vetteman32...Listen to your dad on this one...hes right, it does not need crap added to it...its a vette, beautiful just like it is...but its your car...your choice...vettes are beautiful just as they are...(I did go with a K&N air filter and open lid and cags eliminated...but thats it...hehe)...good luck... :seeya
Old 02-04-2002, 11:49 AM
Cigarman
Instructor

Default Re: Why modify? (vetteman32)

It's what you want. I bought this car because it was original and low mileage. It is a nice day, good weather car and I can afford any kind of daily driver that I would like. If something would go drastically wrong with it, I might think od mods, but would rather buy one just to modify because it needed it.
Drive it for a while and enjoy it. You'll decide what you want.
Old 02-04-2002, 06:17 PM
Red91C4
Instructor

Default Re: Why modify? (dtorc4)

:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Well they don't exactly let me drive anymore........ :eek:

Quick Reply: Why modify?