C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Performance... Where's the most bang for my buck?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 02:40 PM
A
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Performance... Where's the most bang for my buck? (blk91)

Maybe it would help to know how nitrous works. I'm certainly no expert, but from what I understand, introducing NO2 to the air/fuel mixture basically just adds alot of oxygen which makes for a more powerful combustion, hence more power. This is kindof along the same lines as how superchargers and turbochargers make power by cramming more air (which also has alot of O2) into the cylinder.
That being said, it seems that NO2 would be actually LESS of a strain on the engine because it is not always being used, as opposed to a supercharged setup or, to a lesser extent, a turbocharged setup.

From what I've read and heard, people run into trouble w/ NO2 when they get power greedy and run some ridiculously high shot. Same thing for a turbo/supercharged setup; if you crank the boost up to some unreasonable level, bad things happen.

It seems to me that a small shot of NO2 would give PLENTY of bang when compared to the $$$ even with all of the proper safety electronics. I'd like to run a low shot on my new motor when I build it :yesnod:

Now I'm not speaking from experience though, so vetterans please correct me if I am in error. :)

As for cheating... well, if I held on to the other guy's car and let him pull me down the strip and then at the last second I pushed myself away from him and went through the traps then I would consider that cheating. Using NO2 however... well if you're lying and saying that you don't have it when you really do then I'd consider that cheating too. :nono: I guess it depends on how you look at it. Me? I just wanna go fast :yesnod: :smash:
Old 02-01-2002, 08:16 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Performance... Where's the most bang for my buck? (A)

"A" you had a nicely written post and I agree with it. I just want to clarify that nitrous does add more O2, wich will allow you to burn more fuel creating a more powerful combustion process. Its the burning of more fuel that makes the power! I don't know if you knew that or not. Also, I am far from an expert on nitrous, but I have probably inhaled more N2O than most people have run through an engine. :D Oh ya, I've run a few tanks through my car too.

Quick Reply: Performance... Where's the most bang for my buck?