C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

hate to ask, but..... will these wheels fit my 85?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 08:58 AM
solaris_vii
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default hate to ask, but..... will these wheels fit my 85?

heres my predicament. i have an 85 vette and an 85 iroc. my vette currently has a set of zr1 replicas on it which look good, but im looking to replace the wheels on the iroc and the only thing i think would look good on it are a set of zr1s. i dont want both cars to have the same wheels, so i found these on ebay and think they would look sweet on my vette but im not sure if they would bolt on or if the backspacing would be right and if id need to use adapters or anything. i know this querstion has been asked a zillion times but i cant seem to find any info specific on this wheel using the search so i thought id ask anyways. thanks for any help!
Old 04-15-2009, 10:19 AM
captmike13
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Those will require the use of adapters to be used. Offsets for early C4's 8.5"wheel is 32mm and 9.5" wheel is 38mm.

It is in the C4 technical faq section where the stickys are.
Mike

Last edited by captmike13; 04-15-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:24 AM
-=Tom=-
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what the backspacing is on your 85 (36mm?) but those wheels have a 54mm offset as shown in the auction.

Hopefully someone that knows more about an 85 will chime in for you.

EDIT: Nevermind my useless post now. Mike has you covered.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:33 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Those wheels will need a 3/4" adapter for them to sit properly in the wheelwell. You could bolt t hem on directly but that 3/4" they will sit further inboard will be noticeable. 84-87 cars had wheels with 38mm offset for the 9.5" wide wheels.

Some adapters use an acorn style of lugnut that will stick out past the face of the adapter. OEM wheels and some aftermarket wheels will have recesses on the wheel mounting flange so the nut will sit in that recess. If these wheels do not have that recess, adapters that use tall acorn nut may not work.

Call the seller and if the wheel mounting flanges have receses or are a flat surface.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried to fit the ZR-1 style wheels on your IROC-Z? If the wheels on the Vette are the "correct" ones with the 38mm offset, they may stick out too far on the Camaro.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:06 PM
solaris_vii
Burning Brakes

i havent tried it yet, but the zr1 wheels are aftermarket ones designed to fit the 84-87 vette and im assuming theyd have the same offset as an 85 camaro? i suppose i should check that out first lol thanks for all your help guys cant wait to get some new wheels!
Old 04-15-2009, 01:05 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by solaris_vii
heres my predicament. i have an 85 vette and an 85 iroc. my vette currently has a set of zr1 replicas on it which look good, but im looking to replace the wheels on the iroc and the only thing i think would look good on it are a set of zr1s. i dont want both cars to have the same wheels, so i found these on ebay and think they would look sweet on my vette but im not sure if they would bolt on or if the backspacing would be right and if id need to use adapters or anything. i know this querstion has been asked a zillion times but i cant seem to find any info specific on this wheel using the search so i thought id ask anyways. thanks for any help!
I have a set of OE wheels on my 85. They are the C6 ZO6 style, 17x9.5 with a 56mm offset. They bolt right up without spacers. They will sit inboard a little compared to the stock wheels. I didn't think it was noticable. Use of a spacer could give you a problem. I tried mounting mine with spacers but there is no space in the OE wheels for the spacer lug nuts.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:19 PM
solaris_vii
Burning Brakes

i will say i looked at the photo of your car and the wheels look pretty good. do you have any other pics you could post or email? if anything i could buy the wheels and get the spacers sometime later
Old 04-20-2009, 02:23 PM
solaris_vii
Burning Brakes

**UPDATE** i was bored again today and scoured through ebay and found these wheels instead which are a direct bolt on for 84-87s so im going to go with these thanks to everyone that helped though!

Get notified of new replies

To hate to ask, but..... will these wheels fit my 85?

Quick Reply: hate to ask, but..... will these wheels fit my 85?